Can I Use A Friend's Tivo For a 2nd TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mytwocents, Aug 4, 2007.

1. mytwocents

mytwocents New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I currently have my own Tivo (and the service). My friend has recently upgraded to DVR because her Tivo unit was giving her problems...rather than toss the thing, we were wondering if I could use her Tivo in my house on another tv. Can I use it under my account? I mean I assume that people who buy used Tivo's must do this without having to buy an additional subscription right? And if not, would my friend's subscription work in my house?

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    1) If lifetime just move the TiVo to your account
    2) If monthly without a contract just have your friend cancel and open the TiVo in your own account for that TiVo MSD will apply so your cost could as low as $6.95/month. (you do not want to pay your friend each month)
    3) If prepaid or under contract then it will have to stay in your friends account till the end of the contract, this is against TiVo terms and conditions but I have not heard of TiVo stopping this.

3. mytwocents

mytwocents New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    It's lifetime...so she has to call Tivo with her acct number and say she's transferring to me...what info are they going to need? Does this second tivo become part of my current acct or do I keep 2 seperate accounts?

Will it be just as easy to transfer the service back to her name should she want it back at some point in the future?

I can use Tivo without a cable box, correct?

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    It may be easier for you to call Tivo for the transfer to make sure it gets added to your existing account. As long as you provide the same e-mail address as your current account, it will be on the same account.

Yes.

Yes.

5. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    No you just have to call TiVo and tell them you bought it used. They will transfer it, it's very easy.

6. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You can call, you may be asked for the name of the previous owner,