Can I use a cable card and a cable box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by GeorgeHReme, Aug 20, 2007.

1. GeorgeHReme

GeorgeHReme Level 2 Tivo Fairy

Feb 25, 2007
    Quick question:

JUST GOT MY NEW TIVO (hurray)!

Wondering: I still have an old digital box around, as well as *one* cable card. Can I use them together to record two shows at once?

Thanks!

--George

--edit-- I know I won't be able to record two HD channels!

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No.

The Tivo HD is designed to REPLACE your cable box.

Even if you wanted to, the only inputs a THD will take are a cable feed and an antenna feed.

3. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    With one "old" (I assume this is a single stream card) cable card, your Tivo will think it only has one tuner. If you want to use both tuners, your choices with the Tivo HD are: 0 credit cards , 1 multistream credit card, or 2 single stream credit cards.

Aside: How it would work with 1 multistream cc and 1 single stream cc is probably undefined since it wouldn't be logical to do that.

If you don't put the cablecard in your Tivo, you could record cable analog and clear QAM digital (but without program guide, etc for the latter) and hook up the output of your digital box to the antenna in put on your Tivo. Then you could tell the Tivo to do a bunch of manual recordings off of OTA channel 3 (or 4), but this would be a huge headache.

More to the point, a second cable card will likely cost you about half of what the old digital box is costing you. Trade it in!

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    It's very well defined - the box will tell you to remove the unneeded card. :)

5. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    I'm glad to see that they addressed this case. It would have been very easy to justify ignoring it. It makes a stromg case for Tivo, Inc trying to figure out every way a customer could screw up.