Can I use a 3A output power adapter on a Roamio Basic 4-tuner (CableCard)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kbmb, Sep 21, 2020.

1. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH

Advertisements

Our TiVo Roamio Basic 4-tuner (CableCard) had the dreaded Welcome Starting Up screen with all lights flashing. After a quick search and coincidently my Dad's Roamio Basic having the same problem a few months back - I gathered it was the power adapter (brick). Couldn't hear the HDD spinning up.

I was able to find a random adapter with the same connector in the house and tried it and the TiVo now boots and seems to work fine.

My question is, since I know nothing about this electrical stuff is, the adapter I found has an output of 12V - 3.0A, compared to the TiVo adapter that is 12V - 2.0A. Will this cause any issues sending more amps to the TiVo?

My Dad actually had ordered 2 new power adapters so I might take his spare in a week or so, but if this one will hold us over until then that would be great!

Here are pics of the two adapters. Appreciate any help!

IMG_6092.jpg IMG_6093.jpg

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, you can safely use a power supply with the same voltage but a higher amps rating. The Tivo will only pull as many amps as it needs. Same story for phone chargers and what not.

krkaufman and kbmb like this.
  3. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    As long as the output is 12 Volts you could use an 1 million amp adapter.

kbmb likes this.
  4. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Thank you both very much!

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Although it might be about the size of your house. :D Everything said so far is correct although polarity does differ between adapters — you’re lucky the one you substituted has the correct polarity.

kbmb likes this.
  6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The amount of current a device "draws" depends on the voltage AND the internal resistance of the device.

Actually, it doesn't draw current---the voltage, which is like electrical pressure, forces current through the device.

How much or how little depends on the internal resistance of the device.

The higher it is the lower the current, the lower it is the higher the current.

As long as the voltage of the power source remains fixed the above holds true, and a 3 amp supply feeding a device rated at 2 amps is only working 2/3rds as hard as it is capable of doing.

kbmb likes this.
  7. bricco

bricco New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    So, I have a power adapter 12 V 2.0A, which may be from a 500GB 4 tuner Roamio. Do you think it is safe to use on a Roamio OTA 1TB unit? Am I better off with an old Bolt 12 V 3.0A?

8. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    2.0a will work, but many people recommend 3a for the extra capacity just in case.

9. bricco

bricco New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Thank you. I’d like to use everything I have but not have it under-perform. The 2A is original and black. The 3A is white. Rather use the black.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Paint it.

11. bricco

bricco New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Good call. But the wire is white, too. I hope the 2A is compatible/acceptable to a 1 TB drive.

12. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    The 2 amp is fine as that's what Tivo provides.