Can I use a 25 foot HDMI cable with my Roamio OTA 1TB DVR?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by joseph1949, Jul 16, 2016.

1. joseph1949

joseph1949 New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    I have a few questions.

I will be getting a Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR in a few days. I have gone on line to read the Start Here green poster. It says to connect a HDMI cable from the Roamio unit to the TV.

Here are a few questions:

Note: My TV is a Samsung UN32J525DAFXZA. I am using a DSL modem and it is a technicolor C1100T-802.11n Wi-Fi Router.

1. Is it possible to send a signal to the TV using Roamio’s Wi-Fi and the TV’s Wi-Fi?
    I believe the answer to this question is no.

2. Could I use a 25 foot HDMI cable to send a signal from the Roamio unit to a TV in another room?
    If the answer is yes, please tell me what type of HDMI cable I need to get.

Note: I just bought a GE 3 foot HDMI –HDMI-TO-HDMI cable. The cable supports 5.1 and 7.1 channel surround sound and high speed 10.2 Gbps. I am assuming this 3 foot cable is O.K. to use with the Roamio unit and the TV. The cable is also certified for 1080P FULL and 4K x 2K ULTRA.

3. Or do I need to use a TiVo Mini?

I would like to replace the 3 foot cable with a 25 foot cable when I want to use a TV in another room.

Please provide the following information on the 25 foot HDMI cable:

1. Where to buy the cable.
    I am assuming Amazon would be a good place to start. How about monoprice.com?

2. What would be a good price for a cable?
    I am thinking less than $20.00 (Amazon price!).

3. What specs. should I be looking for on the cable?

4. What would be a good brand to get? And yes I know that if I go through Amazon the brands are iffy at best.

Any help that you can give me will be greatly appreciated?

Thank you.

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
  3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Is the remote going to work in the other room? Not sure how far an rf signal can penetrate. Seems like an ugly setup if you have the wire snaking around. A mini would allow two people to watch the TVs with different programs.

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    1. No.

2. Yes, but your asking question #1 leads me to think you might be confused about how things are going to fit together. People normally put their Roamio and TV in the same location, there isn't usually any point in putting them in different rooms. Why do you want to do this and what do you expect it to do for you?

3. It sounds to me as if you really need a Mini in the other room, but you really haven't explained what's motivating your questions enough to be sure.

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    My interpretation is that he has two TVs, the Roamio is with his main tv. With only one Hdmi output he would have to change the HDMI cable when he went to the other room or use component to his main tv or use an HDMI switch. And, he would have to hope the remote would work. Most people of course would just put a mini in the other room at a modest cost.

6. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I get my cables from http://www.monoprice.com/ based on recommendations from TCF. I'm very satisfied with them. Their cables are so inexpensive you do feel like you are not getting high quality, but you are getting high quality.

7. gfretwell

gfretwell ReplayTV refugee

Jul 9, 2016
    SW Florida
    I have a fat passive HDMI cable that is about 55-60' long. It runs from a Dish box (soon to be RIP) to the TV in the bedroom. I plugged it into my new OTA Roamio to see if it worked and it was fine. I am thinking about trying one of those $40 HDMI splitters. The bedroom is actually right behind the Roamio on the other side of the wall but the TV is on the far side and the cable needed to be that long to get up in the attic and back down. The RF remote does seem to work through the block wall OK.
    I am still working out my eventual topology and I may end up with a mini or two but I am taking baby steps right now.

8. joseph1949

joseph1949 New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Thank you for your replies. I will be addressing your questions shortly.

One quick note: I will be moving the TV from my kitchen/office to my bedroom. For this scenario I have only one TV.

Thank you.

9. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Unless your cable is complete crap, you shouldn't have a problem with a 25' HDMI run. I would just buy the Amazon house brand or one from Monoprice; I've never had problems with these two choices. Your difficulty might be with the RF remote, depending upon what your walls are made of and whether there are any other obstructions. The only way to determine whether that will work will be to actually try it. There are ways to get an IR signal to another room for the remote, but a Mini would be just as effective and about the same cost.

10. joseph1949

joseph1949 New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    It looks like monoprice.com may have better prices than Amazon.

Information on the TiVo Mini: (via TiVo’s Mini FAQ)

Can DVR be wireless and still connect to Mini?

No, you must use a wired connection (Ethernet or MoCA) to connect your DVR to a TiVo Mini. Wireless networking is not supported.
    ---------
    It looks like my HDMI scenario and the TiVo Mini have something in common—both use cable(s).

The Mini cost $150 at TiVo and less at Amazon. The 25ft HDMI cable is cheaper.

Since I do not have the TiVo in front of me, the interface between the Roamio unit, the TV, and the remote is an unknown. When I want to move the TV into the bedroom I will move the Roamio unit so there is more of a line-of-sight connection between the TV and the unit. I will need a longer (10 feet?) Ethernet cable so as to maintain a connection between the DSL modem and the Roamio unit. A 25 foot HDMI will be connected to the Roamio unit and the bedroom TV. Some experimentation with the RF remote I feel will be necessary. Or I can just use the existing setup with a 25 foot HDMI cable and play with the RF remote.

So why did I buy the Roamio unit? The short answer is Windows 10 (W10).

I have at the moment Windows 7 (W7) and Windows Media Center (WMC). Since I see no future for W7 and WMC I will be getting W10 before the end of July. The kicker here is that W10 does not support WMC and thus the need for the Roamio unit.

If I get W10 now I will “save” around $200. I can “apply” the $200 to the $400 Roamio unit and “save” $200—creative accounting!

So it looks like I will be playing with the RF remote, the 25 foot HDMI, and maybe a 10 foot Ethernet cable. I have two carts so moving things around will not be a problem.

Wish me luck!!!!!!

Thank you.

11. gfretwell

Jul 9, 2016
    SW Florida
    Has anyone hacked a better antenna on the Roamio remote receiver in the unit?
    My Dish box has an external jack for the antenna and I extended that to a 1' square ground plane that extended the range quite a bit.

12. MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    I have a 50 foot HDMI cable running from the Roamio to my projector which goes through a two output hdmi switcher....no issues. And this is an old cable I bought when HDMI first came out.

By the way, I get everything at Triangle Cable. I don't see the need to pay ridiculous prices for "specialty cable"

13. joseph1949

joseph1949 New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    ej42137
    gfretwell
    MannyE

Thank you for your replies.

I have a question.

It looks like I could be getting my Roamio unit today (July 19, 2016). When I get the unit I will be experimenting with the RF remote. With this in mind I have the following question:

Do the Roamio unit and the RF remote have to be facing each other for the two to work together?

I would like to use the RF remote from my living room to activate the Roamio unit that is located in the kitchen/office. In the opposite direction I would like to use the remote from the bedroom to activate the Roamio unit. I would like to NOT move the Roamio unit when I experiment with the remote. Rotating the Roamio unit with all its cords and cables attached to it is problematical. I realize that rotating the unit may give me the best connection between the unit and the remote, but I do not want to do this unless it is necessary. In the end I may have to move the unit to a line-of-sight connection to get my 25 foot HDMI cable plan to work.

Note: The remote will have to shoot through walls and whatnot to activate the unit—no line-of-sight here.

Any help that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Roamio and Mini v2 RF remotes do not require line-of-sight, so rotation of the TiVo box isn't a factor. As you indicate, distance and obstructions will be your primary concern.

Just did a basic test, and each of my remotes had no problem controlling their respective device from 30' away, with 2-3 walls intervening.

15. joseph1949

joseph1949 New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    krkaufman, thank you for your reply.

I was hoping that there would be no need to rotate the unit. Thank you.

The distance would be less than 15 feet as the crow flies (RF remote) from my Roamio unit to the TV in the bedroom. The HDMI cable would be 25 feet more or less. There is a furnace in the way. I may be able to aim the remote so the furnace will not be a problem.

Stay tune.

Thank you.

16. gfretwell

Jul 9, 2016
    SW Florida
    As soon as I track down the right A/V adapter dongle I am going to attach my Roamio to my agile modulator and send the signal to the whole house distribution that my Dish is/was connected to. It shows up as Ch 69 on any set plugged into that cable. The 2 Dish boxes were 73, 75, 77 and 79 with my Replay on Ch 3.
    Now it will just be the Roamio.
    I am a little disappointed that you can't split the A/V signal from the HDMI since there are multiple tuners in there.

17. joseph1949

joseph1949 New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    A quick note.

I have performed an experiment with the RF remote. When I was in my bedroom I aimed the remote at the TiVo unit located in the kitchen. I pressed the ^ on the channel button. When I looked at the TV in the kitchen the channel had changed—success! I performed the same experiment except this time I was in my living room—again success!

Because of the success in my experiments I will be purchasing a 25 foot HDMI cable.

Can someone (assuming the 25 foot HDMI cable will work) tell me why I would need a TiVo Mini? In other words, what can the Mini do for me that the 25 foot HDMI cannot do for me? Please remember that you also need a cable with the TiVo Mini.

Note: The distances involved were less than 20 feet.

Thank you.

18. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    With a Mini two people can watch different programs at the same time.

Using a Mini would minimize the physical movement of your Roamio and reduce the wear and tear and risk of an accident.

A Mini needs an Ethernet (or MOCA) cable, which is cheaper than a 25' HDMI cable and easier to route. (Of course you still would need a 3' HDMI cable from the Mini to your TV, unless you were going to borrow the Roamio's cable.)

If you've just got the one TV and are going to cart it back and forth anyway, I don't see any big advantage to a Mini over the 25' HDMI cable.

19. gfretwell

Jul 9, 2016
    SW Florida
    How much is the mini cost and does it run on your existing network or is it a point to point thing? I have cables everywhere anyway so it is just plugging it in if it runs on my network.
    I have an HDMI splitter in the mail as we speak but I could just watch one show at a time. Unless the kids are here, that would be plenty.

20. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    $129.00

It connects to your Roamio via Ethernet or MOCA in your existing network.