Can I swap Tivo HD cablecards with Tivo S3 without a truck roll (Comcast)?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by platbr, Aug 17, 2007.

1. platbr

platbr New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Mercer...

Advertisements

My apologies if this question has been answered, a search didn't turn it up.

So I've decided to return the Tivo HD I bought two weeks ago and replace it with an S3. Not a lot of reasons to return, the Tivo HD is working fine, but at the end of the day it only works out to be about $44 more for the S3, and I decided it was worth it for the better remote, larger hard drive, and eSATA functionality.

I'm with Comcast (near Seattle) and have two working cablecards in my Tivo HD. When the S3 arrives today, can I simply power down the Tivo HD, swap the cablecards into the S3, and call Comcast to get the activation codes entered and/or set? I know Comcast could do it with a service call, but that kills the better part of a day for my wife waiting for the cable guy, and if possible I'd prefer to just do it this way.

Thanks!

Brian

2. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    /subscribe. curious myself...

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    If your local Comcast provider pairs the cards to the host, which most do, this will not work. You need to have them repaired.

This should be able to be done by a phone call from you to them asking them to re-pair the cards (most Comcast offices call this "validation hit") where you will have to read off the host id, data id and serial number). However, in most cases they want to send out a tech to do this and won't accept the info from you over the phone.

I was able to do this for a friend, by calling in and saying that I think my pairing info was reset by a power failure and asking them to re-check it (didn't want to confuse them by saying it was a new box). They checked it and reset it over the phone.

All the info that you need to provide is the serial number (written on the card) and the host and data id's from the Conditional Access screen of the Cablecard settings menu.

4. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I have done this with Cablevision without a truck roll, just need to call and get them re-paired.

5. platbr

platbr New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Mercer...

Advertisements

Thanks for this. I'll give it a shot when the S3 arrives and let you know how it works, and if they'll work with me. Anyone else have experience with Comcast?

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I've done this. Just call 1-800-COMCAST. No need for a truck roll.

Even a front line CSR should be able to do this, since the CableCARDs are already on your account. They will look the card up by serial number, so make sure you know which card is which. Then, as jrm01 said, just give them the associated hostid and data values reported by the S3.

7. zaknafein

zaknafein Shorthanded

Jul 17, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    It's BS that they roll a truck in the first place. You ought to be able to buy the damn things at Best Buy and just call the cable company to activate service.

8. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Depends on how Comcast feels that day. When I first set up my brother's S3, we did it over the phone. The first replacement one, they insisted on sending someone. With the next replacement, they tried over the phone, but one of the cards seemed bad, so they ended up sending someone. Then he moved, and had to get new cards (same Comcast, but they would not transfer the cards). Again, they insisted on sending someone out. He just got another replacement S3 (yes, the 4th in a bit over a year :eek: ) and he just called for someone, rather than try to convince them otherwise.

9. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If you have that kind of trouble, just have the CSR give the host id and data value to dispatch.

10. platbr

platbr New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Mercer...
    Did this last night. It took about 1/2 an hour --- the system supposedly wouldn't take the new values from me, and so the CSR went up to her tech people and they "processed the cablecards as returned to the warehouse," apparently to trick the computer in allowing them a new pairing. The CSR was a very nice lady and I was impressed. It's nice that you can see immediately on each tuner if it's paired up (i.e. does HBO HD work?)

As I posted in another thread, the positive differences with the S3 are legion. The audio does not have the persistent breakup when using the menus, and the menus themselves are 3x to 4x as fast. The S3 remote is excellent, and the front display is nice, if not absolutely necessary. Tivo S3 refurb is definitely the way to go. Oh yeah... the extra 750 gigs of space is nice (if a tiny bit noisy).

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    FWIW, both of these fixes came in the 8.3 level of code, IIRC. TivoHD is based on 8.1. I'm sure these fixes will come to THD.

The stock S3 only has 90GB more than the THD.

12. platbr

platbr New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Mercer...
    Thanks -- this is a valid point of which I was unaware.

True ;-)... and both have the ability to upgrade the internal drives. But the ability add eSATA (which will come to Tivo HD, in time) drive space is priceless (even if it doesn't always work).

Coming from Vista Media Center (which I actually thought was fairly slick, minus the extreme lack of channels (OTA = 8 in HD for me)) -- I'm just saying the S3 was more of what I remembered in a slick, integrated Tivo interface (my last Tivo was a series 1 directivo). I have no doubt that the Tivo HD will get there.