Can I swap TiVo drives as a method of archiving?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by leiff, Sep 17, 2018.

1. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area

Advertisements

I have an extra TiVo roamio with lifetime subscription not currently relied upon for any active recording. It has a 2tb drive in it full of shows already, and I'd like to Archive more additional shows but it occurred to me it might be easier instead of using computer software like kmttg to transfer the shows to hard drives which periodically results in errors, instead to take the hard drive out again and put back in the original 500 gig hard drive that the TiVo came with and then transfer shows over the network from my other TiVos over my homenetork onto the roamio with the empty original hard drive in it. Will the Romeo behave this way okay? So when I'm ready to watch the shows on my other hard drive I just unplug the TiVo and swap the hard drives? Will that work? I realize this method will only be advisable if it's even possible with hard drives that are favorably compatible with DVRs and obviously my stock 500 gb drive is.I actually have the very same question regarding an extra bolt I have with original empty stock Drive I upgraded . I know I have too many tivo's

2. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    I understood that when you swap drives it will reformat the drive, regardless if it was used in that Tivo already

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in to confirm (or correct me) :)

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    No it won’t work.

4. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I swapped the 1 TB drive I had in my TiVo S3 before it was deactivated from the last upgrade offer. I put the original 250GB drive in, and all the shows were intact after several years of storage. The TiVo did upgrade software, but the recordings are intact.

So if you have multiple drives set up for that particular TSN, you may be able to swap drives for archival purposes. Since TiVos aren't designed for easy drive swaps, there is a risk of harm at some point if you're not careful.

5. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017

Advertisements

Drives swaps changed with Roamio. They are very easy with Roamio and Bolt.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  6. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Why not? Maybe I read the question wrong? You can't swap out drives on a Bolt and keep recordings. But should work on a Roamio. I keep my old drives as backups when I upgrade or just want to replace the drive if it's getting old. I've swapped out drives within the same Roamio with no problems. As far as I can tell if you fill up a Roamio drive you can pull it, store it, put in a new drive (or copy/expand the one being replaced), then if you want to put in the one you pulled at any time it will work. You could have as many "backup" drives as you want, all with different recordings as long as they were recorded on the exact same Roamio. Again cannot do that with a Bolt but has worked fine for me with Roamios.

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    There could be issues if you are switching back and forth with Gen 3 and NE4/Hydra. I myself am on Gen 3 and don't plan on changing. That would affect the relationship between the flash drive and the hard drives. If you do use drives as "backups" might want to put them in anytime there is a major software update. Really easy to swap drives, on a Plus or Pro just a few screws, Basic Roamio a LITTLE tougher because of the snaps/tabs. Really you can have multiple drives with different recordings for ANY Tivo other than a Bolt.

8. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Alright good to know so I can put my empty stock 500 gigabit drive back in my Romeo and transfer recordings onto it over my network from my other TiVo, and then after I fill up the drive pop it back out, put it back in Cold Storage and then put my 2tb drive back in my Romeo and all my shows on my 2tb roamio drive will still be on there. I think I'll do that then. Yes this roamio in question is running the older TiVo experience. Now I'm curious why do you guys say I can't do this with my bolt, but I can with my roamio? Both my spare Romeo and bolt that I'd like to do this with are both running the old TiVo experience if that's important. The shows I'll be transferring from over my network will be from another TiVo running Hydra experience if that's important

9. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Well every time you swap drives on a Bolt you lose a lot, even if you just put a new one in, take it out and put in the original. At least in my experience a year or so ago. The Bolt has more on the flash drive than the Roamio, at least it used to. I have never had any problems swapping Roamio drives with Gen 3, can put in a "backup", it will be intact, then take out the backup and put the current drive back in, it will be fine. But maybe get a few more opinions, 2TB a lot to "mess" with, it has worked for ME but since some people say it will not maybe something changed with the Roamio software since I did the "swaps".

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    On Roamios, only the six OS partitions are in flash memory. Bolts also keep the Linux /var partition in flash and the SQLite partition on the hard drive is only 250MB instead of 3GB like previous models. That makes me think that most or all of the SQLite database has also been moved to flash, and would explain why swapping drives doesn't work.

tim1724 and krkaufman like this.
  11. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    This could make a difference. Not with swapping around the Roamio drives but not sure if you can transfer recordings from a NE4/Hydra Bolt to a Gen 3 Roamio directly (you could test that if you have the NE4 Bolt and a Gen 3 Roamio hooked up now, just try it). I only had a Bolt hooked up for a year or so, it was on Gen 3 and I had no problems transferring shows between it and my Roamios directly. But that may have changed based on what I have seen here and not sure how NE4/Hydra affects things, a lot of features have changed with the latest versions of NE4.

12. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    hydra to gen3 needs to be done via tivo online

13. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Have you considered getting an 8TB drive, jumping through the hoops with the special drive formatting software and having all your shows archived online? Maybe put a larger drive on your Black Friday / Cyber Monday shopping list.

14. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Yes you can transfer from new TiVo experience to Old TiVo experience directly from the user interface of the old TiVo. I already do that fine. I'd like some more reassurance it will work out to do this with the Romeo though (swapping drives)because like you said, two terabytes of shows is a lot to lose if it doesn't work out.

15. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I think you mean Encore (gen3) to Hydra needs TiVo online; you can pull from Hydra to Encore as always. (leiff beat me while I was typing!)

16. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    You are wrong. I use my Romeo's on screens menus using the old tivo experience and I'm able to scroll through my other bolt TiVo on the network which uses the new TiVo experience and transfer fine. It's the other way around transferring from old experience to new experience that requires web interface

17. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Do you have a second Roamio you can test it with? I'm a bit unclear about all the Tivos you have, for sure a Bolt with NE4 and the Roamio with the 2TB. If you have a second Roamio with not much on it use it for the test. Pull the drive, put in a blank, maybe do a recording or two, then pull it and put the original back in. If the original still has what was on it then you SHOULD be good to go. Don't pull any drives out of Bolts unless you are prepared to lose almost everything, IF you put in any other drive, if you pull and do nothing you can put the original back in.

18. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I guess I'm wrong then--I thought if you put an old drive into your Roamio (for example, one that has been pulled out of it previously that still has recordings on it, as in this case with the poster), it will erase it.

unclehonkey likes this.
  19. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    No I only have one roamio unfortunately. I just sold my other roamio with 2tb drive inside of it with lifetime service for $270 as I just picked up two new bolts from Summer Breeze sale. So cost me a hundred to upgrade to bolt. But I guess I lost my Premier box in the upgrade process. Now I have two bolts and one roamio. Only one of my three boxes does any recording. it runs the new TiVo interface. The other boxes are on the old interface

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I agree with that. Perhaps I will have a reason to test it soon.

unclehonkey, leiff and PSU_Sudzi like this.