can i swap HDs from HDVR2 to an R10?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by milo99, Aug 31, 2007.

1. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    i've got an HDVR2 w/ 2 HDs in it. it's been my primary box for 4 years. i'm now getting the apparently common pixelation problem on tuner 2. Since the only way to get rid of it is to utilize the composite video output and not use the S-Video, i want ot instead use my bedroom R10 unit in my home theater.

but i want to put the larger capacity drives from my HDVR2 into this R10. Is this a simple swap out (i do realize i need a 2 drive bracket for the r10 since the layout is different inside)?

2. grecorj

grecorj Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2002
    CT
    Nope.

3. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    really? what would i need to do to them then?

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm unfamiliar with the R10, so check the upgrade forum to see if the members that hang around there can help with the details of what can be done with the R10. I think you can upgrade the R10 with larger drives but in this case you'll lose all shows recorded on them.

5. nonamesleft

nonamesleft New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    You need to image the new drive. That is copy the software from the old drive to the new one. Software from a HDVR2 model won't work in your R10. If you can't copy the software from the old drive or suspect that the old drive might be corrupt, then you can buy an instantcake CD instead. Have a look at the underground forum for more details.