Can I swap hard dirves

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by wood252ota, Jul 8, 2011.

1. wood252ota

wood252ota Member

Apr 19, 2008

Advertisements

I haven't seen this answered for a premiere, so hopefully someone will have an answer for this. I had an HD and a Premiere that I installed a bigger drive in. Then 2 weeks ago they got taken out by a near by lightning strike (along with a lot of other stuff :-(). I took out the big hard drives and put back the oem drives and sent them back to Tivo who is sending me a referb HD and premiere. I think the big hard drives survived the strike because I ran WDDiag
    on them and they passed. The big drives also had a lot of programs on them that I would like to watch.
    So the question is when the new (or nearly new :) Tivo's arrive can I put the bigger drives back in them and get all my programs back ? The drives should be in the correct format and have the correct coreload. It looks like the new tivos had a different service number, but is that info stored on the harddrive or in some rom on the motherboard ?
    One more winkle, the premiere had a cable card/tuning adapter. I know that pairing info is on the harddrive.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You can put the drives back in but you would need to do a clear and delete to use them. Each TiVo has it's own decryption key(not sure if that is the right term) so the content can't be viewed on another box unless you transfer it.

And it's too late for that since the boxes died. And even if they hadn't died they aren't in your possession any more.

3. wood252ota

wood252ota Member

Apr 19, 2008
    aaronwt,
    Thanks for the input. Even if I had the boxes, the programs had the copy protect bit on, so I couldn't transfer them if I wanted. I didn't know
    about the encryption key. Thanks again for your help on this.

4. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    There is a hard drive upgrade thread, that might be a better place to ask your question. It is here.