Can I supply my own cable card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mimregi, Dec 30, 2018.

1. mimregi

mimregi New Member

Dec 27, 2013
    I am with Optimum (cable vision/ altice) in central NJ- I see cable cards on eBay and elsewhere, do I not need one from the cable company? Is it like a cable modem? Any advantage to BYO?

2. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Yes if you can find one that was activated on your system

3. mimregi

mimregi New Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Meaning it would have to be one that optimum supplied originally?

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Most cable companies do not allow you to use your own CableCARD. I think there were a few smaller cable companies that did, but as far as I know the major cable companies never have.

compuguy, cwerdna and skypros like this.
  5. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I purchased the exact model # of our Cable Co's card...... When I came back to cable I asked if I could use my card (saving $2.95 mo...... what a RIP!!) Cable Co said NO, I asked Support, CSR and the Tech...... they all said NO!!

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Quelle surprise.

sharkster likes this.
  7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Well, it is entirely possible that card is stolen property. A few cablecos used to sell them, but most make you rent them. So, odds are the card was either never returned or came from a retail box.

8. Patrick2050

Patrick2050 New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    When I moved my cable cards were packed up, so I ended up paying about $30 each. If I moved back into the service area, I wonder if I could use them, or possibly legitimately sell/give them to another to use--although 'never returned' I paid for them.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Yep. Have never heard of consumers buying CableCARDs or being able to use one they own/provide.

It's just like cable boxes in the US. You've always had to rent/use one the cable co provides, at least in the US.

I've heard of being able buy cable boxes and use them legitimately in some other countries (Canada?) but certainly not in the US. I'd imagine the concern is that it's been tampered with and may be used to pirate or steal service.

compuguy likes this.
  10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    not recently, but years decades ago, i've personally known both (now defunct) viacom cable and comcast to sell retail set-top cable boxes for use with their systems, at ridiculously inflated prices, for example: $600 for a scientific atlanta non-dvr set-top box in the mid 90's. while they claimed to offer the retail equipment, they purposefully set the prices so high as to push customers to rent.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    compuguy and cwerdna like this.
  11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have a similar scenario and my cards will work on non-protected channels, but as far as the provider is concerned they won't pair it anymore since it was removed from their internal systems.

12. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It has been reported that a few smaller companies sold/sell canblecards. None of the biggies.

compuguy likes this.
  13. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Cablecards perform two functions in a TiVo. The first is to provide the mapping of channels to QAM frequencies. That is how the device knows, for example, that A&E is channel XXX in your system.

The other is decryption of encrypted channels. This is the function that requires pairing of the card with the TiVo.

So, a purchased card MAY be able to do the first function without pairing, but you will not be able to receive anything but clear QAM channels. Since few if any cable companies will pair a user supplied card, and only a few channels are clear QAM on some systems, the odds are such a card is mostly good as a book mark. :)

Bigg, cwerdna, compuguy and 2 others like this.
  14. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Technically, a CableCARD performs 3 functions: channel mapping, decryption, and conditional access.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    cwerdna likes this.
  15. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    It is the decryption and conditional access function that is mostly the reason why cable companies want you to get the cable card from them. They want to have something that they trust to enforce that you have paid for the services you receive. A counterfeit card could just willy-nilly let you access stuff you haven't paid for. So insisting on you using a card that they provide is not entirely unreasonable.

cwerdna likes this.
  16. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    The same cable co that will not let me use my own cable card..... Lets me use my own modem for internet.

17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you know where to get one of those cards that lets all channels come through, please post a link.

tommage1 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  18. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    But your cable modem isn't used to access cable TV channels, esp. ones that you have to pay extra for.

19. Gubbagubba

Gubbagubba New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Old thread I know but the idea that "they want to have something that they trust to enforce that you have paid for the services you receive" is just a presumed rationale for them when maximizing profit and making a disadvantage for using 3rd party gear is apparent (TiVos get last support compared to Xfinity equip i.e. channel packing support). Something they trust? They can interrogate or shut down any cableCARD already. They *have* to be provisioned and be actively pinged & kept on the valid roster to work at all, so they lose little to no control if they were to let us use our own. They could sell them to us at a reasonable profit relaed to their value as equipment rather than the captive audience exploitation of charging us for service AND every month $7.50 a card for years/a decade. Their rational is profit - period.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Depends on the cable company. 99.9% will not.