Can I sue Tivo for breach of contract?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by occraig, Feb 26, 2012.

1. occraig

occraig New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Of course I am kidding but I am getting so freaking mad at my Tivo. I would not mind if my tivo would miss recording a show that I could record sometime in the future but I missed half of the superbowl (i relived it 2 hours into the game) and I missed the first 2 hours of the Oscars (I programed my tivo to record both).
    DAMN I want to take a hammer to my TIVO...... If the tivo was not going to record the show i programed it to then I had 0 reason to have a TIVO.

2. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Can you sue TiVo for breach of contract? Sure.

Are you likely to prevail against TiVo in an action for breach of contract? Depends on the terms of the contract between you and TiVo and what provision(s) of the contract TiVo may or may not have broken.

Quite frankly, it doesn't sound like you have the slightest clue as to what TiVo owes you or what you owe them under this alleged contractual relationship. You can vent your frustrations on a public Internet forum, but it's unlikely you would prevail at trial. Best of luck.

By the way, if you want to threaten to sue TiVo, the preferred way to do so is to threaten a Class Action Lawsuit and then not do a damned thing about it. There's quite a long history of threatening class action lawsuits here on TiVo Community Forum.:rolleyes:

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Wow, that sucks.

I can't remember TiVo ever failing to record something when it wasn't me somehow messing up (or the cable going out). That's why I came back so gladly from the Comcast box when the S3 came out (I had left TiVo because I needed something that could record HD)...TiVo was FAR more reliable.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Did you read even the first few words of his post?

Obviously you don't use a Tuning Adapter.

5. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    How about when TiVo cut off the ending of the Sopranos series finale a few years ago, that was so bad! The writers write a clear and concise ending, but no, TiVo has to go and cut off the LAST 15 SECONDS...now we will never know. :rolleyes:

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, I do not.

7. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Don't stop.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Did you have other programs with a higher priority set to record at the same time as the shows you missed?

9. TiVo Mel

TiVo Mel King of TiVo Nation

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    I don't believe "Tivo" cut-off the ending. If anything, the guide provider was responsible. Tivo has no way of "knowing" when a show ends. The device is only programmed to begin and end precisely when the guide service tells it that the show will begin and end. Whether or not the broadcast network (in this case, HBO) synches with such service is not Tivo's fault.

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You obviously never saw the Sopranos finale.

11. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    Spoken like someone who saw the entire ending instead of the one the rest of us saw...:rolleyes:

All rolleyes aside, what happened then after it all went black on our TVs? :D

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yikes, I feel your frustration. I have one, right now, that suddenly won't even stop on certain channels - all my favorites of course - so I cannot watch OR record on all those channels. The other one will, after I switched to IR, but now the picture is screwed up (tested - with Tivo box turned off reception perfect...with Tivo box on, picture kind of fuzzy). Every now and then that one is getting stuck. Just suddenly stopping and getting stuck. No other fix than to turn it off and back on so I miss half of what I'm watching.

Calling Tivo is a bust. Couldn't get any help there and I felt like I knew more than the Tivo guy did PLUS he was rude.

I'm about ready to take a hammer to both the damn things.

13. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    To the OP, I have never had an issue w/ TiVo doing this. What Series box is it and do you have the latest software update? Have you contacted TiVo to let them know? It could be an issue with recording 'Live' events. I'd say try grabbing another 'live' event over the weekend to see if it does it again. If so, it could be an issue w/ the way your box is handling them.

:p lol! I don't think your joke was picked up like it should have been.

This is very true. Except in this one isolated case. Something about that Journey song and TiVo not liking the fact that Steve Perry left the band or something... :p

I did. My Tivo also cut off the ending ;)

I want to know too!

14. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Seems like user error to me. My Tivo had no problems recording the Super Bowl.

15. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    :p lol! I don't think your joke was picked up like it should have been.

@ SCOTLANTFORVER -

It can sometimes be difficult to bring sarcasm and jest into forum, but I think most of the TiVo Community regulars and Sopranos fans go it. :)

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Sopranos? What's that? Perhaps a singing group?