Can I stream Music to my Tivo HD with Tivo Desktop?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by scsiguy72, Jul 7, 2010.

1. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy

Advertisements

I used Tivo Desktop about a year ago and found it to be bloated, slow and not a good experience.

I want to stream music again from my PC to my HD and searched around, but everything points back to Tivo Desktop.

Is there anything else that can stream music to Tivos?

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I like using Harmonium.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Hmm... your subject line asks if you can use TiVo Desktop (yes), but your text asks if there are alternatives (also yes). Confusing. :)

There are a number of choices. Some use the old HMO protocol, with the player that's built into the TiVo: TiVo Destop, pyTivo. (pyTivo is less bloated than TD, handles more formats, and also handles larger music collections with more speed, IME.) Others use the newer HME protocol, which means they have complete control over the GUI: Harmonium, AudioFaucet, Galleon. I use pyTivo, but mainly as an "eat your own dog food" kind of thing.

4. pdhenry

pdhenry Oh, my aching back

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Live365 is also an option, but it's not your own music that you're streaming. Also the free options are limited.

5. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy

Advertisements

Yes it is confusing. That's what I get for not proofreading my post.

OK should be "Can I stream Music to my Tivo HD without Tivo Desktop....

I am trying out the suggestion of Harmonium. So far it works, but I have to see if I like it (took some doing to get it started)

6. maddhatter99

maddhatter99 New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You might also want to look at J River Media Center, but it is not free :( , $50, ouch. However, it has a Tivo Server plugin that works great for serving up my music collection, including playlists. The software is also a very good media manager, including podcast subscriptions.

J River does have a free version, J River Jukebox, but, I do not believe it includes the Tivo Server plugin.