Can I stop Tivo from recording at certain times ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by katman, Aug 25, 2007.

1. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Hi All,

At the moment my Tivo is totally unmodified but I am wondering if there is a hack to prevent Tivo from recording between certain times.

Currently I have a SKY+ box used by the family and dedicated Digibox on Multiroom for Tivo.

I now have a second SKY+ box which I want to transfer the multiroom card to which will give me....

SKY+(1) = Family PVR
    SKY+(2) = Kids PVR

.... now the dilema....

I have a choice of connecting Tivo to Freeview/Unsubbed Digibox/SKY+(2)

My preference would be the second SKY+ box BUT in that case I wouldnt want Tivo to try to record between 8am to 8pm as the kids would be using that SKY box either to watch live or to playback something they had already recorded. There is also a possibility that it could also be using both tuners to record.

If Tivo was to try and record under those circumstances I would either get a failed recording or get grief from the kids :(

My reason for wanting Tivo to have access to a subbed SKY receiver is that 90% of what it currently records is from the Discovery/NatGeo group of channels which I can only get from SKY but due to the fact that they are repeated, limiting Tivo to 8pm - 8am wouldnt be a problem if there is a way to do it.

Hope that makes sense !!!!!

2. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    You could set up Sky together with terrestrial, and created a high-priority season pass on a terrestrial channel during that period.

3. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    set a basic quality manual record from 8am to 8pm with a keep one copy only

4. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Thanks Guys,

That looks like it should do the trick although until I upgrade the disk I think I will set my "proper" season passes to "Keep until I delete" and create a series of manual 1 hour recordings eg

8:30 - 9:30
    10:30 - 11:30
    12:30 - 13:30
    14:30 - 15:30
    16:30 - 17:30
    18:30 - 19:30

That would use only 6 hours of space compared to 12 hours and would allow me to force a recording to take place without freeing up the entire 12 hour block. The programs I watch are normally one hour long and as the above list gives something recording in each hour then that should stop them being recorded.

Thinking about this a bit more.... a ONE MINUTE recording in every half hour period eg hh:14 - hh:15 and hh:44 - hh:45 should do the trick as well. More effort to set up but only 24 minutes of disk space used :)