can i split coax to tivo/modem x2

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by leiff, Sep 1, 2011.

1. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    My new tivo needs a internet connection. In its room is coax cable that is already sending comcast cable tv signal I know because its plugged into my digital tv and its already getting my cable channels. Some HD too. In another room I have my comcast modem and router for internet. Too far to wire ethernet to. I was trying to decide if I wanted the $65 tivo N wireless adapter or the $105 NETGEAR XAVB5001 Powerline AV 500 Adapter Kit when I suddenly wondered if there was a third option other than MOCA which uses coax to deliver internet but as I understand it cost even more.
    Can I instead split the coax cable in my tivo room- and send into tivo and the other into a $20 cable modem and ethernet out of modem into tivo? This wouild be the second comcast cable modem in my house and I wouldn't plan on hooking a pc up to it. Will this work? Good idea?

2. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    A second cable modem isn't likely to connect to the Internet until you call up the cable company and subscribe to another monthly cable modem plan. (i.e. whatever you're pay for your other cable modem every month). Costly!

IIRC, the maximum length of an ethernet run = ~300 feet. If you can't do that, then I'd guess WiFi would be your next cheapest bet. I hope your router and TiVo aren't ~300 feet away!!! :eek:

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Tivo wireless N adapter is only a wireless bridge it must be setup with a PC prior to plugging into the Tivo's ethernet port, and cost more then the USB Wireless G Tivo adapter. You can get a better price at amazon.com. The wireless N adapter is $65 and the Wireless G is $38 from amazon.com. These are the only wireless adapters that will work on the Premiere.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The N adapter is just a bridge. It isn't really TiVo specific other than the branding. You can get a wireless bridge if you want but you probably wont find a good one that is much cheaper than the TiVo branded one.

5. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    so is there a chance I can plug in a extra modem I have and it will work free of cost?
    otherwise I think I'll try g TiVo dongle first. N travels further right? Will it be important if I'm downstairs from router? N profile behaves differently when traveling vertically and through objects right?

6. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    Use can also get a power line remote ethernet setup. Master connects to AC near your existing router and the slave connects to AC near your Tivo. Plug the master into the router with CAT5 and plug the slave into the Tivo's ethernet port with a 2nd CAT5 and there's no need for wireless or running wires.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    No.

I assume you mean cable modem.

The cable company knows the built-in identifying numbers of the cable modems to which it's being paid to provide internet service (MAK, serial number, super secret encrypted serial number maybe), and is not going to respond to any others.

If you want 2 cable modems attached via splitter to the single cable that runs to your house, you will have to pay the cable company double what you pay for internet now.

And that's only if they're capable of understanding the concept and willing to go along with it.