Can I simply connect TIVO to modem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jojoma, Sep 14, 2006.

1. jojoma

jojoma New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Advertisements

I'm trying to connect my Tivo to my home network because I don't have a phone line. I just got the latest Tivo 7.3 software installed. I have a Motorola cable modem and Linksys Wireless router.

Can I simply plug the Tivo into my Cable modem with a USB cord? I don't need to wirelessly connect Tivo to my Linksys router do I?

I tried plugging the two devices together but it said it did not recognize it.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    No. You have to have either a wireless USB->Ethernet adapter or a wired one. If you have a new DT unit you could plug straight from router to ethernet port on Tivo. But not via USB cord!

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No. You need one of the supported network adapters, and connect that to your router. TiVo deosn't support direct conenction to modems.

4. munchkin99

munchkin99 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Maybe it depends on the box, but I have a Tivo HD, and I physically disconnect my DSL modem from my computer, carry it into the den, and connect it directly to my Tivo HD. I do not use a router or have a wireless network. I have had no problems with this.

However, I am letting a friend borrow my old Tivo Series2 box. My friend has cable internet, and I have tried connecting her modem directly to the Tivo, using a USB/Ethernet adapter between the two, and it does not recognize it.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

I have two TivoHDs and a Series 2 single tuner (540) w/ a wired adapter.
    All three had no problems being directly connected to my DSL modem when my router when on the fritz two weeks ago.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    TiVo put in USB networking drivers in release 9 of the S3 class boxes. The original posts in this thread were from 2006 - long prior to release 9. In order to use an adapter other than the TiVo USB/Ethernet adapater, you will need to hack the S2 and use backported USB drivers. Even then, not every adapter will work. I suggest you contact Jamie on the "other" TiVo forum.