Can I sell HR10-250s?(got 2 HR20s).

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by aVOLanche, Aug 19, 2007.

1. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    I have 2 deactivated HR10-250s(one was leased,one owned).The owned one has one problem-one of the OTA tuners is weaker than the other.Otherwise it's fine.The HR10 that was leased is perfect.Can these be sold?If yes,what is necessary to sell them on Ebay...(include the access cards?etc).What does the buyer need to know?Is there likely problems for a buyer in activating the units?Can/should a buyer check out the unit's usability with Direct?

I read a lot of posts but couldn't get a good idea of what is required.Many thanks for advice!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You can sell the owned one, but the leased one will have to be returned (unless DirecTV doesn't care). Just make sure the owned one doesn't have any account balance against it.

3. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    I know I can sell the owned unit.It's the leased one I'm concerned about.The leased one has already been left behind by the tech who installed the HR20's.Is there a way to document that I can "do as I wish" with the leased unit(apparently D* is not wanting to have these returned....techs won't take 'em away and D* isn't asking for them to be shipped).
    I don't think the "word" from a typical CSR is adequate for the leased unit.Has anyone gotten any more "formal-legal" release on a leased unit?Thanks! Fred

4. or270

or270 New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Modoc...
    I know one time it took 3 months for Directv to send a recovery kit for a receiver.

5. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Sell 'em both. You might want to disclose the fact that one of them had been a leased unit, not that it will mean anything. If DirecTV ever asks for the leased unit back just tell them the tech took it with him when he installed the HR20. OTOH, it is highly unlikely that DTV will ever ask for the HR10 back since they're telling everyone that updates to the HR20 that they can keep the HR10's. They have absolutely no use for the HR10's anymore and really don't want them back.

6. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    This was also my experience.

7. cmeinck

cmeinck Member

Sep 18, 2003
    When you sell an HR10-250, is it common practice to include the DirecTV access card?

8. Speedo123

Speedo123 New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Tampa, FL
    I just purchased two S4040Rs on eBay that I intend to upgrade and network (rather than change the eprom in my R10s to be able to network/mrv). D* said I had to buy a new card for $20 to activate the first unit. I did that and while awaiting the card, the other S4040R unit showed up. When I went to activate the first unit, I found that it would not accept any input on "Satellitte In 1" but did on "Satellitte In 2." After much troubleshooting with D* on the phone, they said that the unit seemed to be defective and offered to send out a tech to check it (didn't mention the cost, though).

Anyway, I hooked up the other unit and it worked without problem. Called D* back and asked if I could switch the newly purchased card from the defective unit to this other unit. They said yes! Seems that their policy is that an existing card cannot be transferred to a new owner but the "original" owner can transfer the card to another unit under his account.

So, after this long background ramble, the answer appears to be that it shouldn't matter one way or the other if the card goes with a unit you sell because D* won't let the new owner use it.

Off the topic, does anyone know what the problem might be (or where I can look for an answer) with Sat 1 not accepting an input?

9. DTVCSR2007

DTVCSR2007 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    the only downside to ordering equipment off of ebay is there is no guarantee that its in great shape, but more importantly whats already on that access card. if its an account thats tied to someone who hasn't paid there bill and entered collections it will be a little bit of an ordeal. Luckily enough, most results in getting put on the line with an access card agent who will assist you and make sure your not the bum who has the past due bill and make sure your not just setting up an account with a new name. pay 20 bucks, and get a new access card. If its leased equipment. Ya, its ours. Give it back, and we'll be glad to hook you up with new equipment with free installation.

but ya if you indeed own your equipment, there is no new commitment for adding a recv.

10. MisterEd

MisterEd Very Large Member

Jun 6, 2001
    TV Land
    Some do, some don't but the fact is 90% of the time D* will not activate someone else's old card (even if it is clear) and will require you to get a new one for $20.

11. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    I already have new equipment and the tech wouldn't take either HR10-250(2 different installs,2 different techs).So the question is whether D* will ALLOW a "leased" receiver that they don't want,to be sold or given away and activated again.

12. Charlutz

Charlutz New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Columbia, MD
    I recently did what you are asking. Had one leased and one owned Hr10. Got the 2 new HR20's and when I ordered them, I asked the retention rep if I could keep the leased one. She said as long as the tech didn't ask for it back, I was fine. I put them both on ebay (with the old access cards) and a prospective bidder asked about the leased one. I called directv and was told that because the tech didn't take the leased one, I could sell it. The CSR I talked to put me on hold while she checked and confirmed with a superviser. In the meanwhile, I gave the receiver ID number to the prospective buyer. She called Directv and was told the same thing. So ... my conclusion is you can do it. But like with all things Directv, ask a different day and you might get a different answer.

13. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    It's funny the thread title is -
    Can I sell HR10-250s?(got 2 HR20s).

Someone replies to say you can sell the owned one, etc... and the OP replies back - I know I can sell the owned unit.

Why did you even mention it then ?
    :confused:

14. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    Gee................I wasn't trying to "dis" JimSpence.I asked mainly for more info on the LEASED unit.I was sure I could "sell" the owned one.But I wanted advice on *how* to sell it on Ebay.The poster that replied to my post said I would have to return the leased one(which certainly does not seem to be the case-unless-as he said-unless D* doesn't care).The tech didn't want it,nor does D*.

But that D* didn't ask for it back doesn't imply that I can sell it and the buyer be able to use it.I wanted advice like whether the access cards were part of the equation,what I needed to do to assure a buyer,etc.I wanted to know about the leased unit.And,as you can see,there is still no concensus among the posts,on the sale of leased units,card activation,etc.

You the semantics hall monitor? :mad:

15. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...
    I originally had and HDVR2 and a standard reciever.

When I purchased a second HDVR2, they transfered the access card from the plain reciever to the DVR.

When I purchased my third HDVR2, they made me buy the third access card.

When I just deactivated my third HDVR2, and activated an HR10-250 in it's place, they just deactivated the card and the HDVR2 that I owned, and activated the HR10 with the card that was with it.

In my experience, they only seem to care about the total number of cards on your account. If you are adding a new card to your account, they make you buy a new one. They don't seem to care about the source of the card if you are just transfering recievers within existing numbers of cards on an account.

YMMV.

Don

16. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    Thanks,that's the feeling I have.I'm not sure a CSR's word is good enough unless the is an email,letter or something.I'd hate to sell a leased HR10 and have them suddenly want it back!So I may see if I can get an email response.