Can I run setup guide for Antenna without losing Cable card pairing?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jayplus101, Apr 1, 2021.

1. jayplus101

jayplus101 New Member

Apr 1, 2021

Advertisements

Can I run setup guide for Antenna (just to try it out) without losing Cable card pairing?

Background: I own a TiVo Roamio with cable card (Fios). No issues with TiVo on Fios. I am considering cutting cable and keeping the Roamio (lifetime) for OTA service. I want to run the setup guide with an antenna to see how well the Roamio is able to pick up local channels. I want to do this just as a trial, I plan to re-run the setup guide again with the cable card. Will I lose my cable card pairing if I do this? I do not want to mess with cable card pairing because I know how much of a headache it can be.

The reason I want to run the OTA setup guide (as a trial) is because I had issues with the Roamio picking up OTA channels at another location. The OTA tuner on the TV was able to pick up the same channels with no issues. At that time, I concluded that the 4-tuners were splitting the signal strength enough to render the service unreliable.

Fast forward to now. I've always had TiVo with Fios at this location. Now I want to try OTA again. I am able to pick up OTA channels well enough now with the TV tuner, but I am concerned I will run into the same problem with signal strength on the TiVo. I want to test it out before ditching cable entirely. I am concerned about messing with the cable card pairing.

2. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I did EXACTLY this. Running one setup update will not erase what you already have. In fact it will reset your TV channels to OTA and change your one pass settings to the appropriate OTA channels (wherever possible). I suggest you re-check your one pass settings to ensure that they are correct. A few of mine got messed up. I switched back to cable recently, a few years later and did the exact same thing with no problems.