Can I run guided Setup on Unsubbed Series 1??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chriso_it, Oct 13, 2007.

1. chriso_it

chriso_it New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I am new to Tivo as I just purchased my first unit this week. My hope is to use the Sony SVR-2000 unsubbed, just to record by date/time/channel. My problem is that the existing channel lineup is for a different state and I would like to update. Can I run the guided setup to just get the channel lineup (ex. ESPN=31) for my area? Will this cause any problems or prevent me from using it unsubbed? Any assistance is appreciated. Also, I searched for a couple of hours and could not find an answer to this.

SVR-2000 (30 hour)
    SW Version: 3.0-01-1-010
    Tivo Account State: 3: Account in Good Standing
    Manufactured Date: Nov 2001

Thank you,
    Chris

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You can't use the machine the way it is now, so go ahead and do it.

Most Series 1 machines can be used unsubbed, and if yours isn't one of them, you won't be able to use it at all (except for tuning stations and pausing live TV), so connecting to TiVo won't hurt you. (And TiVos NEED to regularly call in , even if only to fix "clock drift".)

TiVo still allows unsubbed and working Series 1s to call in and get their clocks set, get local channel lineups, etc.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    If you can set up a manual recording now, even if the channel numbers don't match, there's no reason to think that it won't work after rerunning guided setup.

4. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    By the way...

The part about
    Tivo Account State: 3: Account in Good Standing
    concerns me just a bit.

Sounds to me like the machine may have been subbed.

Some machines that'll work without being subbed will lose that "nature" after being subscribed. Some sort of setting gets lost. TiVo will reset it for you if you ask (you'd have to call them), and things will get rolling again.

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    What's there to be concerned about. The previous owner likely disconnected it before canceling the sub.

The thing that removes the ability to record w/o a sub is doing a C&DE.

6. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Actually, there have been reports here that S1 machines that have been subbed can end up not working without the subscription unless TiVo does some type of reset for them.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Nearly all s1 Tivos have been subbed by now.

8. chriso_it

chriso_it New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I had read that when dialing in the SW version might be updated, resulting in losing the record by channel/date/time functionality. Just want to double check before I let the unit dial in.

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The SW version currently on the Tivo has absolutely nothing to do with it. Besides that, you already have the latest SW version which is 3.0

10. chriso_it

chriso_it New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I allowed the Tivo to dial in and now Tivo Account Status is "2: Not set up, 6 days left, call 1-877-367-8486'.

After 6 days will I still lose the ability to use it as a 'VCR?'

Also, the channel lineup did not change or even ask me what zip code or cable company I am using.

11. chriso_it

chriso_it New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Correction.

I now have run the Guided Setup but am getting the proper channel lineup, but am now receiving "2: Not set up, 6 days left, call 1-877-367-8486."

Will this not work as a VCR after 6 days? Is there anyway to resolve this? Can I sign up for service and then cancel after the unit is back to 'Account in good standing' and then never dial up again?

Thank you for your assistance.

12. chriso_it

chriso_it New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    3 Days left... Can anyone tell me if I can still do unsubbed recording, just to record by date/time/channel?

Thank you.

13. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Just get a subscription and be done with it. I don't understand why you keep asking the same question over and over.

14. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ

If I remember correctly, you'll be able to pause/rewind/ff live tv, and you'll still be able to watch things that are already recorded, but you'll not be able to do anything else, including recording new things.

Someone correct me if that's wrong.

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can do GS for free. That unit (built after Oct 1, 2001) needs subbed to record, after that trial runs out.