Can I Rename TIVO Premiere Without Any Issues?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MPSAN, Nov 18, 2020.

1. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...

Advertisements

We have a Premiere that we called Family Room. I know I can rename it to Living Room but will that mess up the 1P and what about ONLINE on TIVO. I guess I just wonder if I just Rename it do I need to look out for any issues?

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i've never had any issues, but each network is different - i can't see how trying it would do any damage, as it can be put back.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can rename it on your tivo.com account, doesn't affect anything else. You would need to Force Tivo Service connection and might need to reboot it.

4. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Thank You both. Do I rename it on my Tivo Account as it is available on the TIVO settings as well. Do I do both?

5. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al

Advertisements

rename on one, the other should reflect the change.

6. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Eventually. ;)

Rename as often asl you like, it's harmless. Just be aware that Tivo still has a bug where every rare once and a while some Tivo's will revert to old names. That too is harmless. But if 6 months from now the unit renames itself back to Family Room, it's not anything you did wrong, it's their fault, just go rename it again.

7. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I have the bug kdmorse is talking about with two of my Premiere's. I can rename it online and it updates fairly quickly. My guess overnight when it does its service call.

8. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    So, I should just rename it online and see what happens?

9. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I just do it online most of the time. But you can also do it at the box if you don't want to wait for the nightly update. Either should be fine. I never had any issues with recordings or multiroom viewing due to changing the name of a box with either method.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can only rename it online at your tivo.com account, under preferences. You can't do that on the device itself.

11. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OK...I can do that but I saw a place on the TIVO as well, but I guess we can do it online.

12. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Assuming TE3, you can. Tivo Central - > Settings & Messages -> Remote, CableCARD & Devices -> Tivo Box Name -> Enter Your Own Name (Or select from prefilled choices).

Next time you do a daily call (which you can force immediately), the change will flow up to the servers.

On TE4, I have no idea. But you can absolutely do it on TE3, and given the OP's unit is a Premiere, that's likely what is being run.

jcondon likes this.
  13. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Yes of course it is TE3.

14. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I have renamed on the box and it happened immediately - my question is can you get rid of the old name. I've had 3 living room boxes (2 so far broke) and when I look the systems show 3 living room - like to get rid of the old 2 still showing up

15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Reboot.