Can I record only a certain part of a show without Tivo recording extra stuff

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by solmarilove, Feb 9, 2012.

1. solmarilove

solmarilove New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I'm not sure if I worded my title correctly so here's my question.

The other day I was watching a program and pressed record on the musical performance I wanted to record and pressed stop when the performance was done. It recorded that performance but it also recorded stuff that came on before that performance. So is there any way that when I press record and press stop it only records that part and nothing else?

The reason I want to do this is because I only wanted to transfer that performance to my computer but all that extra stuff that it recorded made it take a long time for it to transfer to my computer.

2. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    TiVo will automatically save as much of the show as it can (usually whatever is in the Live TV buffer at the time Record is pressed). One workaround is if you know something you want to save is coming up, change the channel on the tuner then change back to the channel you want to record from. This will clear the buffer and make it so TiVo only saves what you want. Otherwise you'll have to put up with the longer transfer.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can use pyTivo to transfer from the PAUSE POINT to your computer (it's called 'resume recordings' in one of the popups). That is a workaround.

4. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    "One workaround is if you know something you want to save is coming up, change the channel on the tuner then change back to the channel you want to record from. This will clear the buffer..."
    When I read the question, I couldn't think of a way. Your suggestion is simple, yet ingenious.

5. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Or get VideoRedo or something like it and you can edit out exactly what you want.