Can I Record one show and watch another at the same time with Toshiba SD-H400?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Brahmabull, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Brahmabull

Brahmabull New Member

Feb 13, 2010

Advertisements

I was wondering if there is a way to Record one show while watching another with the Toshiba SD-H400 with basic service? Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you split the input, 1 to Tivo, other to TV, you can. Otherwise its a single tuner and you can record 1 and watch a recorded.show at the same time.

3. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    Just keep in mind that in the event your cable provider goes to a complete digital lineup, you will lose this function unless your TV has a digital tuner.

4. satmaster

satmaster Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Louisiana
    It only has 1 analog Tuner so it wont work with digital cable unless you add a convertor box.

5. Brahmabull

Brahmabull New Member

Feb 13, 2010

Advertisements

I'm sorry guys but I guess I'm not understanding. I use a rooftop antenna to get my tv as I do not have cable here where I live. I thought that analog was no more? All my channels are digital and I have a LCD HD tv. Will splitting the input still work? Thanks everyone for your replys so far. I'm a Tivo Newbie and this is all pretty interesting to me.

6. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    It depends on what you mean by record a show while watching another show.

If you mean record a show and watch a recorded show, then yes, you can do this.

If you mean record a show and watch live TV, then no. But keep reading.

If you are receiving your signal via antenna, then you will need a digital to analog (DTA) converter box in order for the TiVo to receive any signal. As 95% of all broadcast channels have gone digital, this is the only way to go. The DTA box acts like a cable box, but for antenna signals. You have to redo guided setup to use the DTA. When you tell the TiVo that you use the antenna to receive your signal, it will ask you if you use a converter box. It will then ask you for the manufacturer of the DTA box, so it can use the right IR signals to control it. The DTA boxes are available at WalMart and Target and other places, as well as the internet. My favorite is the APEX DT502, because it has S-video outputs, which is better that the composite output (yellow).

If you split your antenna feed to go to your TV and to your DTA converter box, then you can watch something live while recording something else. You would essentially have two tuners, so you can do two things at one time.

And to answer your question about using it in Tivo Basic. Yes, you can use the DTA converter boxes with the TiVos that do TiVo Basic (the Pioneers and the Toshibas).

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

7. Brahmabull

Brahmabull New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Wow Robomeister, thanks alot for all the info. I have 2 of those DTV boxes because we needed them for our tvs before we got our LCD HD flat panel. The ones we have are the Zenith ones which suck because they only have the composite output attachments but they were basicly free so I guess I'll just use it and see how it looks. Actually, someone told me that I could just use my HD LCD flat panel tv instead of the DTV box because the tv already has a digital tuner already in it. Is this true?

8. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    All new TVs sold these days should have a digital TV tuner. I suggest you hook up your antenna feed directly to your TV and have the TV search for channels. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

After that, use your Zenith with your Toshiba SD-H400 and enjoy! (You'll need to split your antenna feed. And your IR blaster, if you can find it.)

Good luck,
    robomeister

9. Brahmabull

Brahmabull New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I do have my antenna hooked up directly to my LCD without a DTV box. What I mean is, since my tv has a digital tuner, can't I hook up my Tivo directly to my LCD tv instead of going through a DTV box?

10. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Well, if you think about it, you wouldn't be able to use your TV as a TV. The TiVo needs to control the external tuner exclusively, so you would have to have the TV on all the time and only be on the antenna output. And you are back to your original situation, only being able to watch one thing at a time. Actually, it is even more limited. If the TiVo needed to record something, it would need to be on the tuner, and you would most likely connect your Toshiba to your TV with the component cables (RBG) and analog audio (Red/white). So you couldn't watch something else while it is recording.

So, no, you can't hook it up that way. The easiest way is to split the antenna feed, one end going to your TV antenna input, the other end going to your Zenith digital to analog converter box. Connect the Zenith to the ToshiVo and go.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. :) (Actually, it was meant to be confusing.)
    robomeister

11. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Bringing this one back to life.

Can anyone tell me if you will still get the guide data correctly? I'm thinking of going OTA only and I have 2 of the SD-H400's Basic. I would need 2 DTA boxes. My sons TV has an NTSC tuner so his will only be able to watch one channel at a time but my daughters TV has an ATSC tuner so I can split the signal and make it a dual tuner.

Am I missing something?
    Robb

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Yes you would get the correct guide data. You would need 2 DTA boxes. One for each TIVO. If you get a third DTA box for the NTSC TV, you can split the signal and watch live TV while the TIVO is recording.

13. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll start with 2 DTA boxes and go from there.

Robb

14. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009
    To return to the original question-- this Tivo (SD-H400) has a "power" button that puts the Tivo in standby/passthrough mode. I suppose my question is, if the Tivo is currently recording a program, can I put the Tivo in "standby" mode and watch the analog cable feed in passthrough while the Tivo continues to record in standby? Or does the Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo stop recording when in standby mode?

thanks,
    ..dane

15. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    I know for sure it records in standby as I check every morning that both of my kids are in standby before I leave the house. This morning my Daughters was in standby and the record (Dora) light was on.

I have never tried it but I don't see why you could not change the channel on the TV and watch something else. I'm thinking that is why the pass thru is there. Set up a test recording and give it a shot.

Robb

16. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Will do. Wanted to ask the question in case there were any other tricks I needed to play... :)

thanks,
    ..dane

17. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Yup-- worked like a champ.

cheers,
    ..dane

18. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    :up::up::up:

Nice.

Robb

19. joball70

joball70 New Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I have tried to get ota channels on the toshiba using a digital tuner box but when i went into guide setup it gives options for: Cable only, satelite only, satelite and antenna, and antenna only.....Frustrating. Tivo doesnt offer cable AND antenna together in guide setup....where i can get both cable and antenna channels together along with program info at the same time. Am i missing something or is the software version out of date????

20. kirkd

kirkd New Member

May 6, 2012
    I'm a little confused on some of this old thread...

When a timed recording is scheduled, will the TiVo control the external, seperate digital receiver to tune to the right channel or will I have to change the channel output to the channel that needs to record?
    Thanks if anyone is still reading this old thread!