Can I play a Bu-ray .iso on my TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by David Platt, Sep 12, 2011.

1. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I just obtained an .iso of a Blu-ray bootleg concert that I would like to watch on my TV instead of my computer. I don't have a Blu-ray burner, so what would be my next-best option for getting it to my TV? Is there a way to transfer it with pytivo?

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Personally for DVD ISOs, I use something called a CinemaTube. It's a relatively cheap box, under a hundred bucks, and plays ISO images with full menu support which is still not that common for media playing devices. I used it in conjunction with a fileserver to create a large virtual DVD jukebox.

I don't doubt pyTivo could play the content, but you may need to convert it to something more friendly for ffmpeg first.

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't know what an .iso of a Blu-ray bootleg concert is but assuming it uses one of the supported Blu-ray codecs, it should be either MPEG2, AVC (MPEG-4) or VC-1 and may include DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD audio. It may require a conversion for TiVo to play it but I would I could play it with a Blu-ray player accessing the file over USB or after it has been written to disc.

4. David Platt

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Turned out to be much easier than I anticipated-- no conversion necessary. I just opened up the folder structure of the .iso and found the video file, which indeed was an AVC file. I transferred it to one of the folders I have set up for PyTiVo, and it transferred without a hitch. Took nearly all day, but it's there. Thanks for the advice, guys!

5. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    What did you use for that? Virtual clone drive, or something else?

6. David Platt

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I use Daemon Tools to mount my .iso files.