Can I network TiVo for free?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by iknowindigo, Jul 29, 2008.

1. iknowindigo

iknowindigo New Member

Nov 29, 2006

Advertisements

Here's what I hope is a simple question. I currently have 3 TiVos in my house. They are all connected through a wireless network, and I'm very happy with how it all is connected and working.

I'm currently paying for the 3 TiVos using a monthly plan.

I now would like to get a 4th TiVo and put it in a room that isn't wired for cable - it's a remote excersie room.

What I would like to do is use the wireless network to copy shows to this 4th TiVo, and never connected it to cable.

Since I don't need a guide, or anything - I"m hoping I can just buy the box and set up the wireless network - without having to pay anything further.

Anyone?

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Nope, no can do

I have a lifetime that I do just that and also now a 2nd monthly one that I'm paying for and it's not recording anything

3. SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Nope. All the boxes need subscriptions.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need a tivo subscription, a tivo wireless adapter and you can record OTA free.

All tivo need subscription no matter monthly, yearly, or lifetime to work, its all the same service, just how you pay for it. Monthlies and yearlys are cheaper if its listed under the same account.

5. iknowindigo

iknowindigo New Member

Nov 29, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies - I have to say I had a feeling...

Mumbles about how nice it would be if Apple TV knew how to talk to TiVos, or at least understood how to read the TiVo files stored on my computer via TiVo desktop....

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    maybe you want anther computer instead of another TiVo.

Good Luck,

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Maybe you want a slingbox... and a slingcatcher when it comes out.

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Great idea........but we'll all probably be dead when the slingcatcher comes out.

Of course....if it does, then I am off to Costco to get a new 20" TV for the bedroom!!!!!

9. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    What OS are you running? I am just curious as if it is Vista Home Premium it might be possible to use a media center extender (like the xbox360). Has anyone tried it? (I know you can do things like stream blu-ray movies etc.)

10. iknowindigo

iknowindigo New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Although I also have a PC, the computer I use with TiVo desktop is my MacBook Pro OSX. The files are not understood by any application other than TiVo desktop (and Toast I suppose - since it knows how to burn them into DVDs.)

My PC isn't Vista, so I can't address that one - and I've not tried the blue movie with XP, but I might, now that you mention it :)

11. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Not true. Most Series 1 TiVos work without service, and so do the DVD units that have "TiVo Basic".

Don't have (full) TiVo service in either case, but they do work and do record.

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    For what the OP wants the TiVo for, it needs subbed.

Another option is what I call A/V networking, which involves sending the A/V fro one of your existing TiVos to the workout room, and IR control signals back. There are numerous ways to do that. A Slingbox/Catcher is overkill IMHO, as it would do the same thing essentially. That is what I do, and it works rather well for me.

13. NashvilleKit

NashvilleKit New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Here's an idea FWIW. My (grown) daughter - a workout fanatic (me not so much!) - put a plain old splitter between the TiVo and the TV set in the family room. Off the open leg of the splitter she ran TV coax down into the basement and attached an old TV in front of her treadmill, etc. Then she got a radio transmitter add-on for the Tivo remote and a receiver/infrared attachment for the Tivo unit. So via radio signals she can manage the Tivo box from her basement workout area. Of course, anyone sitting in the family room can only see on TV what she happens to be watching unless the TV were to have a connection to the cable-in which bypasses Tivo.

The radio device she got is now quite old, but she said that Weaknees and others sell similar things and probably greatly improved over what she has.

Hope this idea can help you or someone else.

14. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You can use more Tivo Desktop on more than one computer.

Convert the files.

15. NashvilleKit

NashvilleKit New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Yes, this is true, but be warned -- it ain't pretty. I run an old S1 without subscription, but I only use it for the occasional triple-conflict (my S3 has double-tuner). To wit:

(a) There is no way to set the time to correct for changes from daylight savings time and just simple clock "drift." You must constantly keep track off the box's offset from actual time and adjust your recording start & stop times. It'll give you a headache!

(b) There is no way to set the date. If you have a prolonged power failure, the date may go back to some default, and then you'll have to note the offset of the days of the week from what the box thinks the date is. Can we say migraine?!

(c) Most shortcuts don't work because you get interrupted by a message saying your Tivo won't work without a subscription. But you can get to almost all functions by doing it the "long way." PITA!

(d) Considering a & b above, looking through your Now Playing list is a nightmare. You end up resorting to just hitting Play on everything to find what you want to watch. Groan!

But, yes, it DOES record.

16. gayste

gayste Love TiVo!

Feb 27, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    This thread has made me think a little... I really need a way to get HD TiVo content to a third bedroom. And have been waiting for that damned SlingCatcher also. But then I thought I have a Pioneer DVD-recorder with TiVo Basic... just looked and of course it does not allow Multi-Room-Viewing, UGH... so then I thought what the hell, why doesn't TiVo come up with a cheap TiVo HD "Extender," no recording, just networked Multi-Room-Viewing. That would be soooo cool!

17. David_NC

David_NC New Member

May 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Not sure if they ever got the daylight savings time straightened out (from when congress changed when it occurs), but all you need to do is let it call Tivo occasionally and the date and time get set correctly. You can also go through the guided setup if you need to change the channel lineup. As long as it originally shipped with version 1.3 of the software it will continue to allow manual recordings. (Pretty much all of the Philips PTV100/300 models, and the early Sony SVR-2000's came with 1.3, a lot of the later Sony's didn't and will not allow the manual record).

18. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

You didn't look very carefully at my sig, did you?

I own TWO unsubbed Series 1s.

They're my only TiVos, and what you said isn't correct.

For starters, to correct the clock and date, you simply allow your machine to call in, as is true with any other TiVo.

Yes. TiVo allows unsubbed Series 1s to tie into the server(s?) and both set up (including getting your local channel lineup) and reset the clock.

I don't know what you mean by "shortcuts". Using the listings grid to program a recording? There is no listings grid, because it doesn't have TiVo service...

You know, like we're talking about? A TiVo working WITHOUT HAVING SERVICE.

You set the time and channel for the recording, and you're ready to go. You know...like people have done with VCRs for years?

The statement was made that TiVos don't work/record without subscription, and that this was true of ALL TiVos.

My correct point was that both the "TiVo Basic" machines and most unsubbed Series 1s DO INDEED work without subscription.

Your mistake was then trying to contradict that correct statement, making false claims to support your assertion, and then trying to make the functions of an unsubbed machine sound "yukky" because they don't have service...which we were already talking about, namely, that they work without service.

Thanks for playing.

:rolleyes:

19. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

There are ways to send audio and video wirelessly to another room.

The only devices I know of would allow only standard def, but they do work.

People couple these with IR extenders, and get themselves an extra TiVo remote to use in the second room.

In the room without the TiVo they place the receiver for the A/V wireless gadget (hooked into the TV), and the transmitter for the Infra Red extender.

In the room with the TiVo, they put the transmitter for the A/V wireless gadget (getting a feed from the TiVo), and the receiver for the Infra Red extender.

From the room without the TiVo, the extra TiVo remote and IR extender allow you to change channels on the TiVo in the other room.

The TiVo sends its Audio and Video constantly to the second room by way of the A/V wireless setup.

You're getting a feed from your TiVo in another room, and you can even control the TiVo from where you are.

Again, it's only standard definition, but I'm not picky. :p

20. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Please don't change the subject.

We weren't talking about what the OP wants.

We were talking about the incorrect statement that ALL TiVos need to be subscribed in order to work.