can I manually create folders?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by atomarchio, Feb 21, 2007.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006

Advertisements

I have home movies that I xfr onto my Tivo for viewing with Tivotogo. Is it possible to manually create a folder in "Now Playing" section for them? As the list is becoming quite long to navigate through.

I don't see anything on this in the manual.

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Not currently possible, unfortunately.

3. Awalt

Awalt New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I don't use TivoToGo but I have noticed that Tivo automatically creates a folder when more then one show has the same name. Is it possible to give the movies the same name like "movies" and then give them a separate name in the episode title location? Just a thought. Haven't tested it.

4. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Well one good thing is that they will get pushed to the bottom if you continually get new stuff, makes it easier later on, if you keep the same ones on there

But if you keep putting new ones on, then that doesn't help

Yeah folder would be sweet

5. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006

Advertisements

I can rename the file before xfring. However, I don't know how to provide any other info specific to the file.

6. Awalt

Awalt New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I tried doing several general and advanced searches on editing episode titles but did not find anything. You may want to start a new thread with something like "edit episode title", "edit movie description" or "edit movie title" in the title of the thread to get more specific answers.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    No. The TiVo uses the Guide Data to group the same show into folders. If you transfer a .tivo file back to your DVR it will re-group into a folder if more of the same show is still there. Your own movies, though, don't have this data so they won't group.

8. Awalt

Awalt New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    So what would happen if you tried to transfer 2 movies with the same title? Would it overwrite the first movie, not allow the transfer or create a folder with 2 movies?

9. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I think it would just show you two recordings on the NPL with the same title. The "name" of the movie, or the file on your PC, has no correlation to the file on the TiVo, so one won't be overwritten by the other. And again, you won't get groups, because that is reliant upon Guide Data.

10. DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Not entirely true. Rocketboom and other TivoCasts group into folders automatically, with no guide data.
    I would love folders for home movies.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, this kind of annoys me. When I see a folder, I expect there to be a minimum of 2 shows in it. If there is just the one episode, no need for the folder.

12. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Has anyone tried making 2 files the same name to are if it will create a folder?

Or does someone already know with certainty that it will not work?

13. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Just tried it ... and it doesn't work.

[​IMG]

I took this picture before the transfer was complete (hence the blue dot) but even after it was done, the two "files" were still separate.

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It will not work. It needs metadata encoded in the file. To date, the metadata is still secret.