Can I make this swap?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by John Wilson, Nov 29, 2011.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Chippewa...

Advertisements

Hello.
    I just purchased a TiVo HD with lifetime subscription for a very good price from a private party. Its a model number TCD652160 which I assume has only a 160GB HDD as it shows 21 HD hours in the System Info screen. I currently have a TiVo HD XL, model number TCD658000, with a factory 1 TB HDD (157 HD hours) and a monthly subscription rate. What I would like to do is to swap the HDDs between the boxes as well as move my existing Mcard cablecard and Tuning adapter to the new TiVo HD without having to get the cable company (Charter) involved with a truck roll. I would then have a TiVo HD XL with a smaller (160GB) HDD and a monthly sub that I would de-activate and probably sell. Is my plan possible? I know that the lifetime sub is tied to the box's motherboard and the cablecard and tuning adapter is tied to the HDD.

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Moving the hard drive, CableCard, and TA is no problem, but you will need to Clear And Delete everything to get it to work. That means you will have to involve Charter.

3. John Wilson

John Wilson Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Chippewa...
    Do you mean I would have to do a Clear and Delete on both boxes or just the newest one? Also, would having different software versions screw this swap up? The new one has 11.0K-01-2-652 while the old one(XL) has version 11.0k-01-2-658.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    No first hand experience, but I think I have read here that the different software will eventually cause issues(like with guide updates, etc). Don't know if that is only for one of the models or both though.

There is free software available for you to install a 1TB drive, with the appropriate software, in the -652 model.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...

Advertisements

I don't know from firsthand experience, either. I think the 658 software will work on the THD, and I think the 652 software will work on the XL as long as the drive is not too large, but I can't absolutely swear to either one, since I have never moved a drive from one platform to a different one. The Clear and Delete will be required whenever a drive on an active system is moved to a different motherboard.

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The swap of the 160GB drive to the XL probably won't work. I've heard various opinions re: using the 652 SW in the 658 and vice-versa. Most seem to say that there will be problems. What you can do is to reformat the 1TB drive from the XL for use in the regular HD. If you need an image for that send me a PM. Getting the cable company involved should mean just a phone call (or two) and not a truck roll. They can no longer force you to pay for a truck roll to install a cablecard if they let you self-install their other set-top boxes.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    My suggestion is

DON'T!

"I just purchased a TiVo HD with lifetime subscription for a very good price from a private party."

Okay, that's your good luck allotment right there, don't push it.

The cable card and tuning adapter are tied to a drive that's tied to the TiVo Service Number of the TiVo the drive was in when you paired the cable card and installed the tuning adapter, just like the lifetime sub is tied to the TSN (which is printed on the sticker on the back of the case but actually resides on the motherboard).

If you put a drive that's been on a TiVo with one TSN into a TiVo with a different TSN, it's going to throw an error 51 and have to be C&D'ed. There goes your cable card pairings.

Go ahead and do what you have to to set up the HD's 160GB drive with the cable card and tuning adapter.

That way you can copy it to a larger drive and set it aside for safekeeping. Problems in the future, pull it out as a diagnostic aid.

Do your homework here on the site in the upgrade drive and jmfs for the HD threads and get a new 1TB or 2TB drive to go into the lifetimed TCD652160.

Once you've got the HD on your account and working properly, call TiVo and make noises about cancelling the HD XL and see if you can get them to offer you the $99 lifetime deal on it.

If the XL was meant to be runable on a smaller drive they'd have marketed 2 of them at different price points, the XL 500 and the XL 1000, or something like that. Sooner or later it'll probably bite you in the nether regions. Or worse yet, the person to whom you sell it, who will then come looking for your scalp.

While you've got those boxes open take a careful look at the power supply capacitors.

8. John Wilson

John Wilson Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Chippewa...
    Thanks for the comments, especially unitron. :)
    I had decided yesterday to just what you suggested. I called Charter and we worked through the process of moving the CC and TA over to the 652-box and it went surprisingly well. Step one done. Next, I have to locate a new drive to put in that box as 160GB is too small!:eek: I have updated 2 other series 3 boxes with the Hitachi Deskstar HD31000 1 TB drive but I can't find one at a decent price now. How big can I go on this 652 box and what drive is considered the best bang-for-the-buck for use in HD TiVos? After I get that 652 box upgraded, then I will call TiVo about turning it off and see what I can do about a lifetime deal but I'm not holding my breath.:rolleyes:

Can anyone point me to a link that discusses and maybe even has pictures relating to bad caps on the power supplies?:D I have had PS issues with series-2 Directv-tivo boxes in the past but hadn't heard anything about problem supplies on the HD units.

Again, thanks to everyone for your helpful responses and maybe you can get me through the rest of this upgrading plan that I've started.:confused:;)

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go look at this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=479176

for a great picture of how subtle the visual clue can be.

All mad props to steve614 for the pic.

Also see the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague" and round out your education at badcaps.net

Using the jmfs cd rev 104 (or 1.04), you supposedly can take an HD to 2TB

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462179

even though jmfs was actually developed to do that with the Premiere

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=455968

I'm in the process of trying that now, on a recently acquired non-XL HD, with an intermediate stop on a WD10EACS so that I can up the swap partition size, and then finishing up on a WD20EACS.

Tried it to begin with going from the 160GB original drive to a 500 and then to a 2TB Seagate, and had stability issues.

Don't know if that was because of the Seagate, or because using the 500 as an intermediate caused the 16th and final partition added by jmfs to be over 1TB.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, you need WinMFS to go to 2 TB, from one of the links you provided... (and since I don't do windows, I had wasted space.. Though my TivoHD upgrade drive eventually got to the point where it reboots constantly, and I want to figure out how to resurrect it -- once drives come down to a sane price so I can have one to do the various shenanigans onto)

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I was so distracted by wanting to save you from the headaches almost sure to be caused by swapping drives between species:) that it didn't occur to me to tell you don't use the drive from the XL for anything else, but use it to make truncated TCD658000 backup images of both flavors, the .tbk that WinMFS makes, and the regular .bak you can make with the MFS Live cd.

Since that image is rarely asked for, when somebody does they have a small chance of anyone being able to help them out.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you were replying to me, and if I understand your reply, you're saying that going to a bigger drive with MFS Live results in some extra space (an Apple Free Partition) at the end, but WinMFS manages to avoid that somehow.

If that was pointed out in the jmfs on HD how-to, I must have missed it and assumed that all the references to using WinMFS were only there because of its ability to "supersize", which MFS Live doesn't do, and not because of the extra space thing.

One of these days I'm going to have to get around to learning more about hard drive partition structures.

I'm afraid that come June 2012 or so when hard drive production gets ramped back up the pent-up demand is going to keep prices up for a while after that.:(

Darn it.

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I was under the impression that the procedure for upgrading to a 2TB drive on a THD is to use JMFS for the actual upgrade but not the supersize. The supersize is the only thing for which you use WinMFS.

14. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, which is stated in the instructions mentioned above.. and which fits with exactly what I said.. to get to 2 TB, you need WinMFS.

15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, it's pointed out in the first message at
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462179

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The reason that WinMFS is referenced in the JMFS THD upgrade instructions is to prevent you from using the JMFS Supersize. It has nothing to do with the MFSLive problem.