Can I lock up my remote (to elim. accidental channel changes)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jsmirman, Oct 13, 2004.

1. jsmirman

jsmirman New Member

Oct 13, 2004

Advertisements

I have a bad habit of changing channels via my tivo remote with my butt when I'm sitting on the couch. Which means I suddenly lose my tivo buffer. I'd like to be able to place the tivo remote on "hold" to eliminate this problem. I suppose I could make sure to keep the tivo remote in a safe place during tv watching, but life just isn't that way. Can anyone help?

2. jc-nh

jc-nh New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    NH
    If it's the remote where you have a toggle for TiVo 1 and TiVo 2 you could just go through the configuration steps to setup your TiVo for TiVo 1 and then just toggle the remote to TiVo 2 to "lock" it.

Jeff

3. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    Jeff,
    Tried it - doesn't work. I can set up DVR switch #1 to work w/ the one DVR, but unless you program #2 to the second DVR, switch #2 still controls the first one. IOW, you have to have a second DVR to assign #2 to that one. Did you actually try this? If so, can you be more specific?

thanks

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You don't have to have a second DVR to assign the DVR#2 to a different remote address. If you want to see what you are doing, set the DVR #2 switch with your current DVR. Then switch to #1 and program that to the address you really want to use. Then to lock the remote switch to #2. Remember, that any remote set on address 0 will control any DVR.

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999

Advertisements

Alternatively - if you are watching the show, just hit record!
    Then you'll never lose the buffer, and if you get interrupted for more than half an hour it's no problem.

Most long time Tivo users record just about everything, and spend very little time in the live TV buffer.

6. annenoe

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    I have finally figured out how to do this.... Sorry JimSpence, but I didn't totally understand your answer.
    So, if anyone finds this thread, this is what you need to do. I have one Tivo...

Going into System Info, my remote address was set to "0". With that page up on my TV,
    1. I set the switch on my remote to DVR 1,
    2. cover the remote with my hand,
    3. press and hold Tivo and Pause button at the same time until the red light came on and held steady
    4. point remote toward Tivo and press 1
    5. press right arrow - at this point, I see the remote address on my system info changes to "1"

Next,
    6. Flip DVR swtich to "2"
    7. Repeat steps 2. and 3. above
    8. **Still holding my hand over the remote**, I pressed 2
    9. Hit right arrow

Success! My remote does not work when set to DVR 2, i.e., it's locked.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Wow, it took you along time to get back to this thread. I applaud you for remembering that you started it back in October of '04.

You understood exactly what I said, because that is what you did. :)

8. annenoe

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    LOL - I didn't think anyone would catch me ;-)

I finally sat down today and got it to work - thought I'd post my "lock remote for dummies". I do a lot of teaching for work and have found out (the hard way) that sometimes you have to say the same thing several different ways until everyone gets it....

but thanks again to you for the "hint" that it actually was possible or i never would have tried it again.

9. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Have you tried Stephen's suggestion of just hitting "record?" That protects you from any channel changes at all.

10. annenoe

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    Oh yeah - I do that all the time - this is just another option.

Problem is, the record option does NOT work in all cases, e.g., when you catch a 1/2 hour show at the very end. For example, I turn on the TV at 4:59. I can go back to 4:29 and start watching the previous show but if I hit record, it'll try to record the 5:00 show and will wipe out the buffer.

To clarify, I often turn on the TV and its on one of the channels that I watch/record a lot (like Food or Animal or HGTV) because tivo had recorded a show earlier on that channel. I didn't chose to record the 4:30 show but heck, it's in the buffer and it looks interesting so why not go back and watch it? That's when the remote lock is a great idea.

Make sense? I am not one of those who only watches recorded shows since I have other options. I often do that 30 minute lookback, or switch over to my non-Tivo feed to watch live HD or one of the movie channels while something is recording on the tivo feed.

Cheers