Can I hook up tivo to a PC monitor?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rambler, Aug 29, 2006.

1. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005

Advertisements

And have it work? Without the PC?

2. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    You'd need a serial port, which I don't remember seeing one on the back of the Tivo.

3. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    A serial port? What? Why?

So you are wanting to simply use your PC monitor as a display instead of a TV. Assuming your monitor does NOT have RCA in....

All you need is a universal VGA box. That will work perfectly.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=219&products_id=3235&

That one I linked is a wonderful box, and even features a VGA pass-through for you PC so that you do not have to change cables every time you want to use your PC.

4. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    I was meaning the VGA cable that connects the monitor to the computer. I didn't know there were gateway devices that help connect Video cables and Serial cables.

5. Jun 4, 2009 #5 of 42
    timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...

Advertisements

I have a similar question. My company is trying to unload an XGA high definition monitor (made by Monivision) it doesn't want any more. I think they'll sell it to me for somewhere between $20 - $50. (It's a 32 inch screen).

It looks like the port I need to use is a VGA port (15 pins shaped like a trapezoid).

I f I get a universal VGA box, can I put that in between my TiVoHD and the monitor, and it'll work? Will the monitor display HD quality? (I don't own any HD TVs, so this would be my first experience with HD.)

6. Jun 4, 2009 #6 of 42
    chayced

chayced New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Should work, and at that price the monitor is a steal.

7. Jun 4, 2009 #7 of 42
    timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    BTW, the funny history of this monitor is that after 9-11, my company (as did many companies all over America) got afraid of airplane hijackings, so they bought some expensive video teleconferencing equipment, thinking they'd do that instead of fly to other cities. (So this was in 2001.) Over the years, they resumed their airplane flights, and nobody ever uses the equipment anymore. In fact, it was never heavily used.

We've hired more people and no longer have room for the equipment, so they want to get rid of it. They put an ad in Craigslist, but nobody wants it. (I guess because it's not really a TV... it's just a monitor). So now I think they're ready to unload it for really cheap. It also come with a fairly heavy duty cart it sits on with wheels so it can wheeled around. Inside the cart is storage room with glass door covering the storage area. I guess I could put my TiVo and DVD player inside the cart if I buy this.

8. Jun 4, 2009 #8 of 42
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    How do you plan on handling the audio? Just curious, since it's a monitor, not a TV.

9. Jun 4, 2009 #9 of 42
    timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I know it has built-in speakers, because I've heard sound coming from them. Also, I saw stereo audio inputs (two of them) in the monitor (red and white). I wonder if I can directly connect the red and white from the TiVo to the monitor. Or maybe have it go through this universal VGA box somehow.

10. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Also, my brother-in-law told me the only way to watch TV on the monitor is to hook it up to a computer. I assume he's full of manure, right, since people in this thread say I can use a universal VGA box instead?

He also thinks that in the process the HD resolution might get downgraded to SD. Is he right or wrong? I'm not quite sure if it's worth me taking it if I can't watch in HD quality.

Also, the screen looks like a 4:3 ratio, not 16:9 like HD TVs are. Does this mean I can't watch HD content on it?

11. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I've used a product called "Video Game Jockey" to use my Series 2 tivo with an old Dell VGA monitor.

Using the S-Video connection to the Video Game Jockey, it looks better than my regular composite CRT.

Works great for me!

12. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Darn. I called Fry's electronics and Radio Shack, and neither sell such a device (Universal VGA box). I'm having trouble finding a local electronics store that sells one.

13. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Check the back of that monitor more carefully. You might find S-Video input or a composite video input. I looked at the back of my monitor and found an VGA input, an S-video input, a composite input and even a DVI input. There's a power output for an add-on speaker set if installed.

I have used this monitor with a DVD player connected via S-video and audio connected to stand alone computer speakers.

14. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
  15. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Well, appendix D does look like this monitor, but the rear connecters seen on page 7 don't look anything like what's there.

16. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    What he may not realize is that the TiVo *is* a computer.

17. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Yes, but isn't it true that I could also hook up my DVD player to it, without going through a computer?

18. neil derryberry

neil derryberry New Member

May 28, 2009
    there's a couple of ways you can do this.. you either want to convert component out from the tivo to vga (there's a box for this, not sure of the name) or you can convert hdmi to vga with something like a hd fury (www.hdfury.com). If you've got cash to spare I'd vote for the hd fury.

19. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I confess ignorance about hdmi. I know that TiVos in general have a variety of output ports: coax, S-video, RCA, component. You're saying there's a fifth type of output port: HDMI? So I can choose this for my output signal instead of all the others? Does that carry video only, or sound also? I'm guessing only video if hdfury is converting to VGA, since I assume VGA is video only.

20. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    By the way, I found This product from a poster on avsforum, which sells for $70 (a lot cheaper than HDfury), and it sounds like it does a good job.

But then I found This ebay item, selling for only $28.99, but I have no idea if this cheaper item does a subpar job or not.