Can I downgrade a drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by lafos, Mar 21, 2006.

1. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If I back up my TiVo image from my 160GB drive using the shrink option in MFSTools 2.0, can I restore the image to the original 60GB drive?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes.

3. skaeight

skaeight New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    So how exactly would you do this? I have a 20GB harddrive laying around that I'd like to use. Would it be possible to take an image from an 80GB drive and shrink it to fit the 20GB?

4. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I too would like to do this. I have a image of my RCA DVR40 that won't restore to a 40gb drive. I get an error that 'Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself'.

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks classicsat. I'll give it a try this weekend. I want to do this just in case I need to seek repair from TiVo. I understand they only look at stock units.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    What you would be doing is "shrinking", which you invoke with the -s option in mfsbackup .What that does is remove add partitions made with an expansion.

What is does NOT do is make already factory image work on a smaller dirve than it orignally came from. That is impossible, at least with standard tools.
    So what skaeight and Dkerr24 want cannot be done (unless skaeight is talking of a 13MB Series 1 image)