Can I do Tivo2Go without TiVo service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MTBRScott, Oct 19, 2007.

1. MTBRScott

MTBRScott New Member

Jan 20, 2006

Advertisements

I just bought a SECOND TiVo off ebay... My plan was to have it as a dummy TiVo with no TiVo service and just use it in the workout room. I'd transfer videos to it from the computer and the other TiVo.

Once I set it up though, it doesn't appear to allow me to even do that without the TiVo service... am I doing something wrong or is even TiVo2Go restricted without the service?

2. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Requires service.

3. MTBRScott

MTBRScott New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    That's what I was afraid of... might have to sign up for a month of service...

4. jaybird13

jaybird13 New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Minimum of one year contract with new service - even on an older unit.

5. radkon

radkon New Member

Feb 2, 2005

Advertisements

If I transfer service from an existing series 2 unit (with HMO) to a new unit (HD) will I be able to use the "old" box as described above?

6. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    HMO requires service. If you transfer it away everything except watch live TV is disabled.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You can also watch any previously recorded shows on the box after canceling service.

8. thczv

thczv Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    It needs to have service, but only briefly. Once the new Tivo connects to the Tivo service, and receives all necessary updates, you can tell your router to stop allowing that Tivo to access the Internet. Your new Tivo will still think it has service, even if it doesn't, because it would have to connect to the Internet to learn that it doesn't. It will complain about a lack of guide data after a while, but you should still be able to use it for MRV (though perhaps not indefinitely).

9. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Definitely not indefinitely - about a month. If the unit is on monthly service it has to talk to the server regularly to confirm the service is active or it self-deactivates.

Plus ALL new account activations require a minimum one year commitment - though you could cancel within the first 30 days, of course. But that's not going to get you much since the box is going to turn itself off soon thereafter.

10. radkon

radkon New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks guys, I've got two Series 2's with lifetime service and would love to transfer the lifetime service to a new HD box and use one of the "old" boxes to just watch stuff I've recorded on the others (on a different level of the house without cable) but it sounds like its a no go. Man I miss the lifetime service option!

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You could do that for a year. Part of the deal is the old Lifetimed TiVo gets one year service.