Can I do this with my Harmony 880: control volume without...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lord Vader, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Aug 29, 2004
    The...

Advertisements

Here's what I'm looking to do, mainly to save a couple keystrokes because I'm just damn lazy.

Right now, whenever I watch my HR20-700 or HR10-250 or other devices, I have to press the button next to "AV RCVR" on the Harmony's device screen to be able to then change the volume of my sound system. Then I have to press the button next to the corresponding device to go back to controlling that device.

What I'm wondering is if I can somehow manipulate my AV receiver's volume and mute WITHOUT having to go back and control that device; that is, I'd like to remain on my current DVR device and still control my AV device's volume.

I hope I'm not confusing anyone with what I'm trying to do. It's basically as if I was using my HR20-700 remote itself, controlling that unit but using that remote's volume and mute to also control my AV's volume and mute.

Or is this asking a bit too much? Just curious.

2. DanInSD

DanInSD New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    When you program your 880 on the web, it should ask you which device you want to control the volume for each device you're setting up.

Did you not see that?

3. Lord Vader

Aug 29, 2004
    The...
    Yeah, but otherwise intelligent me got a bit confused. :D

The volume always runs through my AV unit because that's the central command, so to speak. The DVRs/TIVOs don't have volume, per se. However, I'm wondering if there's a way to get their volume functions to also control the AV's volume like the AV does itself.

4. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    sure just load up the software and modify each activity. You should see a listing of all available buttons on the remote and what device they currently control....

you can assing vol up vol down (from your AV) to the volume up volume down buttons on the left side of the remote.

5. reh523

reh523 New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

You do it under "activities". It's not lazy its why you bought that fancy remote!

6. Lord Vader

Aug 29, 2004
    The...
    OK, I'll give that a shot, andy. If I get confused, I can always call Harmony support tomorrow. They're very good with their help.

BTW, quick question: when I modify the activities, do I need to dig up all my original remotes?

7. andyw715

Jul 31, 2007
    unless the device isn't supported (ie you need to manually zap the 880 with the beam from the original device) you shouldn't need the old remotes.

harmony has a pretty large database of audio/visual devices and remote codes.

8. reh523

reh523 New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nope just log on to your account. Add a activity or if you have it just modify it. Pretty simple stuff.

Post again if you need help....

9. Lord Vader

Aug 29, 2004
    The...
    OK, guys. I'm gonna give this a shot and see if I can do this. Thanks.

10. andyw715

Jul 31, 2007
    i just happen to have my remote here. lemme see exactly where you have to navigate to.

Ok im using version 7.3.2 of the harmony software on my machine.

On the activites tab, select a activty that you want to tweak and press the "Customize buttons" button.

This will give you a scroll box with 2 tabs "standard buttons" and "additional buttons"

Standard buttons are the actual buttons on the remote, less the ones to the side of the LCD display.

Additional buttons are the buttons to the sides of the LCD

The first 3 Standard buttons listed are Mute, Volume UP, Volume Down.

Select the appropriate device and corresponding command for each.

Save

Upload to 880

11. Lord Vader

Aug 29, 2004
    The...
    Hmmm...don't think I quite understand what you're saying, to be honest with you. How is that going to let me change volume/mute when the device I'm controlling at the time is a DVR and not the AV per se?

12. Lord Vader

Aug 29, 2004
    The...
    Well, I tried it but it didn't work. Some of the commands disappeared entirely in the second column and weren't available to be selected at all. I'm gonna call Harmony support tomorrow and see if/how this could be done.

13. Lord Vader

Aug 29, 2004
    The...
    This is where I ran into a roadblock, one that wouldn't let me do it. See my above post.

14. brothers

brothers New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    I'm not near the remote or the software right now, but from memory, it sounds like you're doing this under the devices tab - you want to associate volume/mute controls with activities.

You really need to grok the "activities" paradigm when thinking about and programming the harmony remotes - it makes life infinitely simpler, both for the programmer and for the user.

- Dennis