Can I customize the guide display? (re: new TiVo owner...)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sofakng, May 7, 2011.

1. sofakng

sofakng Member

Dec 18, 2003
    I've just purchased a TiVo Premiere (for use with OTA until Comcast cable is installed) and... I'm a little disappointed.

I didn't come here to just complain though but instead maybe I can solve some of the issues I'm having.

The first problem is that the channel guide (only available in SD resolution?) doesn't fit the full screen. Also, when I scroll up or down through the channel list quickly, the top or bottom channels turn black and it takes a second or two for the guide to fill them in. This is a bit disappointing because I like to scroll the channel list sometimes (by holding the down arrow, etc) and having lag and channels turning black is odd.

Can anybody give me any suggestions?

2. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Is this your first TiVo? Most people use the on-screen channel guide for surfing less and less as they get used to the TiVo doing everything for them and not watching live TV much as a result.

Change the TiVo to SD menus (Settings&Messages -> Settings -> Displays -> Choose TiVo menus) and it will work a lot better. Still records and plays HD, but it gets away from lots of the HDUI bugs and general lagginess.

3. sofakng

sofakng Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Thanks... Here's another question:

Does TiVo record the exact (bit-for-bit) stream from the cable signal or does it re-encode them thus losing quality over the original?

I've noticed options for recording quality for Best, Better, and Good (or whatever). That makes me think it's not just capturing the raw cable stream but instead always re-encoding it...

4. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Once you have the cablecard, your quality level choices go away. I *think* the only reason you're getting Good, Better, Best is because you're OTA only right now. Once you're Cablecard, it should capture the streams bit for bit, but since cable companies REALLY overcompress, it's actually a worse signal than HD OTA anyway. It's the reason we still grab the networks HD OTA even though we can get them on cable - the HD quality is MUCH better.

5. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Digital content is recorded in an exact, bit-for-bit manner. If your cable company applies excess compression to your programming, you are stuck with that result. If you hook up an over the air antenna, you get exactly as many or few bits as your local affiliate deigns to offer viewers in your market.

As for analog programming, your TiVo needs to digitize this content so it can record it. You should choose "best" to get TiVo's best effort at recording all of the picture quality that analog NTSC has (or doesn't have). If you want lots of poorer looking content, you can choose one of the lesser settings.:D

{As an aside, that reminds me of an old joke:

One old lady at a restaurant in Long Island says to her friend, "The food at this restaurant is terrible!"

Her friend replies, "Yes, and the portions are so small!"}

6. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Not true at all. Good, Better, Best has everything to do with analog content and nothing to do with over the air versus cable as a programming source.

In just about every part of the country, the free over the air digital programming is as good as or better than the same content from your cable company. Free OTA HDTV can look and sound quite nice. Legacy low power analog stations may look like dog poo, just as they did before the digital transition.