Can I Combine HR10 & HR20?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SidsDad, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1 of 20
    SidsDad

SidsDad New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Last year I purchased a Jacked up HR10-250 thru Weaknees that would record 250 hours of HD, today I've had the HR20-100 installed. Since my HR10 is now obsolete can I transplant the Hard Drive(s) from it into the HR20 to increase the storage capabilities? Is there a better route to take in order to increase storage? I'd prefer to have internal storage but am not limited to it? Thx for the guidance!!

2. Oct 9, 2007 #2 of 20
    milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Here is the Informaiton Resources forum that has info on adding external hard drives and replacing the internal drive:

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115

As an aside, while you are there don't miss these links to help you with your new HR20:

→ HR20 FAQ
    → DirecTV™ HR20 Q&A Forum
    → Latest Update: DIRECTV HD Channels
    → Getting a Good Deal on an HR20
    → 133 Undocumented HR20 Tips & Tricks
    → HR20 Installation Guide
    → Listen to mp3 music and see jpg photos
    → TiVo to HR20 Users Survival Guide

- Craig

3. Oct 9, 2007 #3 of 20
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Who says it's obsolete? :) It will be able to record DirecTV SD and OTA for quite awhile. I intend to keep both active for as long as I can.

4. Oct 9, 2007 #4 of 20
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The HR10 and HR20 use different disk interfaces (PATA vs. SATA). For the HR20, the easiest expansion is to purchase an external eSATA drive (such as the Seagate FreeAgentPro) and plug it in the back. You can replace the internal disk, but doing so violates your lease agreement so the risk is yours.

I have both an HR10 and HR20 in use.

5. Oct 9, 2007 #5 of 20
    5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    HR-30!

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 20
    SidsDad

SidsDad New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    By obsolete I just meant could not get Mp4 channels which is mostly HD channels which makes the HDTivo a bookend

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 20
    Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I would like to know if it is possible to combine the H10 and H20 at the same TV with only 2 line ins available?

Is there any technology that can split the satellite line ins so the Tivo and the HR20 can both be put to full 2 tuner use?

8. Oct 9, 2007 #8 of 20
    rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    The majority of my recordings are OTA so my HR10-250 will still be set up for that. The HR20 will get overflow and any new recordings from the MPEG4 channels. My GXCEBOT will still record the few SD stations I have a season pass on. All three receivers will be shared between two TVs and two complete sound systems.

-Robert

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 20
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You should be fine if your TV has two available inputs .... connect the H10 to one input and the H20 to the other.

As far as "splitting" the satellite feeds, you can't do that. Each tuner needs it's own dedicated cable back to the dish/multiswitch.

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you have four runs from the dish into the house, you can install a WB68 multiswitch (DirecTV will give you one free on an install) that gives you eight outputs. I have an HR10 and two HR20s connected to mine.

11. MrLatte

MrLatte Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Silverdale, WA
    You'll want to use the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch. This is one of the few multiswitches that works with the new satellite frequencies needed to pick up the new MPEG4 HD channels. These new channels will only work with the HR20 but the multiswitch is compatible will all the older receivers too.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=WB68

DirecTV should give you this multiswitch for free. But if you have the new 5LNB dish you'll have 4 lines coming in anyway. This multiswitch takes the 4 inputs and gives you 8 outputs.

12. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I am having Directv install the 5LNB dish on tuesday. I need to run two more lines to my TV now? UGH..

13. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You don't need to run any more lines than you have to existing receivers. If you're replacing one receiver by another, then two lines is all you'll need. If you're adding a new one and keeping the old, you'll need another two. Four lines will allow you to add a WB68 multiswitch which gives you eight outputs and all the flexibility for the future.

14. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    With the 5lnb Dish being installed, they will automatically install the WB68 Multiswitch.

So all you will need to do is run any extra runs to each receiver. Depending on the Tech who comes out, they may be nice and do it for you :D

I would keep the HR10 and use both. It will be a little time before the HR10 is obsolete.

15. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    They might not automatically install the WB68 if the installer doesn't feel like running extra lines when the existing lines will do. I had to ask for it during my install. Note that the WB68 can be installed inside the house with four runs from the multiswitch.

16. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Thanks, good info. The reason I asked is I was hoping to avoid running two more lines somehow. I will not get the HR20 right away, I am only upgrading to hi-def now. I did ask how much to bring out an HR20 and got the standard $199.

I figure when I have the hi-def for a few months I'll call complaining that I am not seeing all the hi-def channels and will maybe get the $19.99 deal that many have talked about - at least after trying some of the customer service tricks.

Anyway, this will give me time to run the two extra lines. It's quit a long run, through the basement above the ceiling tiles and then into the garage and into the living room so I doubt he will do it for free. I'd be happy to pay him $100 to avoid the cost of cable and losing half a weekend running two more satellite lines. But the reward of two DVRs would be great.

17. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Um if you are upgrading from any other Dish to the 5LNB then Directv will install the WB68 Multiswitch. it is common practice amongst Directv installers to do this.

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Except that my installer didn't. I had to call back and ask for it. I agree that it ought to be common practice but it is not guaranteed. Be sure to ask.

19. robnalex

robnalex Member

Sep 7, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I called DirecTV Installation Support yesterday to verify my work order for next Tuesday, and while the Rep confirmed that there was no extra charge for the multi-switch, he was not aware that the WB68 was specifically necessary for the new 5-LNB dish. He did give me the phone number for the installer (Mastec) so I can call them the day before to confirm. I'll need the switch since I'll be running the 2 HR20s and at least 1 of my 2 HR10-250s for a while.

Where do they usually install the multi-switch? Can it be installed at the end of the 4 cable runs behind the TV or do they install it up at the dish? Does it matter?

20. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    If all of your receivers are in one location, it will be easy to install it at that location. My install is tomorrow so I ran two additional coax cables from my theater to a perfect location in my attic to install the switch. This location gives me the flexibility to run more lines to other rooms.

-Robert