Can I combine Fios Cable and OTA antenna feed?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by KurtONeill, Oct 12, 2007.

1. KurtONeill

KurtONeill New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Pasadena, MD
    Can I use a combiner to combine the FIOS signal with the OTA antenna connection? I have tried it and only get the cable portion of my TIVO S3 to get a picture. I am using a splitter at the end of the combined cable connecting one to the cable connection and one to the OTA antenna connection on the TIVO. If this isn't the way to do it is there anyway to get it done? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. afiggatt

afiggatt New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Sterling, VA
    You can not put OTA broadcast signals from an antenna and cable signals (or FIOS TV co-axial run) on the same co-axial cable. Over the air broadcast and cable share many of the same frequencies. If you are trying to get the signal from an antenna in the attic or outside the house, you must have a dedicated co-axial cable run from the antenna to the back of the box.

3. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    #1 - No

#2 - Run the OTA directly to the Tivo if you really want it, and plug it into the OTA input

#3 - FIOS HD locals are exact retransmissions of what you get OA (there have been many bit-rate tests to prove this). Why do you want both?

4. afiggatt

afiggatt New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Sterling, VA
    The OP is in Clarksville, MD. Depending on which channel line-up gets, he may want to get the Washington DC or the Baltimore broadcast stations. If he is in specific parts of the Anne Arundel - Howard county joint market area, then Verizon provides most of the HD stations from both cities but not all. If he is outside that area, then he will get the stations from 1 city or the other. For people who can get stations from 2 or more markets OTA, the antenna is useful to get those that the cable company can't provide. I'm in northern VA and find it useful to get the Baltimore stations OTA as well as the DC stations via Fios and OTA

Besides, there are markets where Verizon is not yet providing all the HD locals. I think they are still missing the local ABC and CW stations in HD in the VA Beach area. Only way to get those stations there if you are a Fios subscriber is with an antenna.

5. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Hey afiggatt, welcome to TCF!