Can I buy a new Tivo Premier XL and still get the service upgrade discount ($200 off)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Snacko, May 10, 2011.

1. Snacko

Snacko Snack Officer

Dec 30, 2008
    Columbus,...
    Hi,

I have an old Tivo Series 1 with Lifetime Service and just bought an HDTV last weekend. So, I am thinking of upgrading...

I see that on the Tivo site they have an Upgrade package where I can get the Tivo Premier XL 150 hrs HD for $439 and Lifetime Service for $199 ($200 off).

But I see that I can buy the same Tivo unit at a local store for just $299 Saving me $140. :D

But can I still buy the Lifetime Service Upgrade for $199?? :confused:

Also, is it better (more cost effective) to just buy the 45hr Premier and the external DVR 1T Extender? What is the Plus and Minus of that??

Thanks,
    Snacko

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    The Tivo bought in the store is only eligible for a 1-yr $19.99/month contract. You cannot put lifetime on it at all (at least not for a year anyways). These boxes are being sold subsidized and Tivo makes that up with the higher priced contract. If you want a Tivo with lifetime pretty much your only option is to buy direct from Tivo with whatever deal you can get. The best deal is the one you noted (I haven't seen $439+$199, but I have seen $449+$199). When was your S1 activated? You might be able to transfer your lifetime for free if it is a very very old box.

The minus with the external drive is that you have a second box (space and power) and that in the past they (especially the 500GB version) have been known to be a bit flaky. I haven't heard too much about issues recently however. Remember that if your local Cable provider uses Switched Digital Video you also need to get a Tuning Adapter from them (which is yet another box...). There are others who are going to tell you that you should just purchase the Premiere and upgrade the internal drive yourself (drive costs about $80). If you are comfortable doing that, go ahead but that type of thing isn't warrantied by Tivo of course. Personally, I would get the XL or upgrade the internal. I have been using a 500GB add-on with no problem for years, but I just like things to be clean and neat.

3. Snacko

Snacko Snack Officer

Dec 30, 2008
    Columbus,...
    How do I find out when my S1 was activated? I looked in the System Information and the only thing that gave me an indication of how old it was, was the Copyright info. It says it was Copyrighted 1999-2002.

Why would they let me transfer the Lifetime at all?? (I hope they do!)

-------------------------

Thanks for the info.. I did upgrade my internal hard drives to two 300gb I think, about 3-4 years ago. So, I know how to do that, but an external seems more flexible.

Snack

4. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    To be honest, I don't know how to find out when it was activated other than to call Tivo and ask. The original Lifetime service terms were written in a way that was ambiguous whether it was the person's lifetime or the device's lifetime. Tivo always meant the device, but either way for those original ones, they allow a one-time transfer to another box. Note that there are so few of these left that many of the CSRs don't know about this option, so you may have to work a bit to get it...

As for upgrading the drive yourself, the tools are different now for the Premiere (maybe not as polished, but not difficult to use). The premise is roughly the same. Hook up the drives (SATA now) and run a program that copies from one to another and expands to the size of the new drive. The external drive is more flexible, but note that if you disconnect it you lose all the recordings made after your connected it.

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Don't know if this is a surefire method, but you can set up an account at tivo.com, list the TSN number(s) of your units, and it will show the activation dates.

Otherwise, just call Tivo customer service on the telephone to find out.

Transfer of lifetime was just the policy when Tivo first came out, but that was quickly changed, I believe.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No you will not be able to buy lifetime for it. Pretty much all units purchased anywhere but TiVo.com require a one year service contract and a $19.99/mo service fee.
    For my money I would by a normal Premiere and then upgrade the Internal Hard drive to a 2TB drive (which is what I have done).

Pros of Internal drive upgrade versus adding external drive:
    1. More space for less money
    2. Less points of failure
    3. If you save the original drive you have a backup with a good image for when the new Internal drive fails.
    Cons of Internal drive upgrade versus adding external drive:
    1. While it is a very easy process you still have to have a computer and the skills to do the internal upgrade
    2. May effect your warranty

Special Note: you can also buy a 2TB internal drive with the image already on it for $150 which makes the Internal drive upgrade very very easy.

Good Luck,

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Unless your do what this guy did and claim that you got them from ebay, with no way of knowing when they were originally purchased. And get the right CSR, of course.

8. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I always have my doubts when someone makes claims like that. But I personally have gotten good deals that I thought should not be available so I can not completely dismiss claims like the one you pointed too.

Thanks,

9. Snacko

Snacko Snack Officer

Dec 30, 2008
    Columbus,...
    I had not thought of looking at my account on Tivo.com. I set that up years ago. And it says that I activated my Tivo on 04/15/2000. Can't believe that I've had this thing for over 11 years!! :eek:

So, is there some official information on the cut-off date for Activation that allows a one-time transfer of the service? Where can I see if my box qualifies? Or should I just call Tivo and ask them?

10. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    IIRC it needs to be before 1/20/2000 (it is definitely in January of 2000 so yours would not be eligible).

11. Snacko

Snacko Snack Officer

Dec 30, 2008
    Columbus,...
    Close, but no cigar!

Thanks for the info...

12. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    A lot of posters were, in 2010, posting that they were getting $199 lifetime Service on $99 TPs purchased on 11/13/2010. This got one form poster so mad that he could not get that deal and that nobody got that deal and if they did get that $199 deal it would be taken away from the person, as he talked to someone from TiVo and was told that an audit was going to take place and ALL the $199 lifetime TP ($99) owners were going to have another charge automatically charged to their credit card. I am sure it did not happen (the extra charge) as somebody would have posted about it by now.

13. Snacko

Snacko Snack Officer

Dec 30, 2008
    Columbus,...
    While looking at the specs for the Premier XL, I noticed this:

Phone adapter support = Yes, requires purchase of a TiVo USB Phone Line Adapter

Why do these new Tivos need a phone connection? I assumed they got all their data from their internet connection..

14. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you don't want the Internet and have a phone line only, not many people have only this, that why the phone adapter is sold separately. You do not need or want a phone connection to a TP if you can get on the Internet (not cell phone Internet) in your home. I guess if you used only a smart phone for all your Internet use and only had a land phone line, well it just a little used option.

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Wow... I'd forgotten all about that guy. Blast from the past! I didn't get mine via this method, but I can say that I got two $199 lifetime offers since January and have never had any issue with either of them.

That'd really be something... audit... hehehe. :D

16. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ya I remember that guy/thread he really was upset.

I was one of the people who got a 11/13/10 $95 Tivo and a $199 lifetime deal. I can definitely state that TiVo has not tried to bill me another $100. I do have some minor concerns the way my Premiere shows up on TiVo.com in the "My Account" "Active DVRs" section under the "Future payment plan" column. In that column my other lifetime DVRs show the following:

This DVR already has Product Lifetime service
    Future plans cannot be added.​

For my Premiere it shows:

To change your payment plan, please call or chat with Customer support​

Which make no sense since the unit has lifetime service.

All my lifetime units including my Premiere do show "TiVo Lifetime Service " under the "Current payment plan" column and "N/A" under the "Current plan end date" column.

Thanks,

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    My Lifetime TPs show up the same as yours in my TiVo account, my one Lifetime Series 2 show up also the same as your non TPs do. I think that the same for everybody for some reason.

18. Snacko

Snacko Snack Officer

Dec 30, 2008
    Columbus,...
    Ok, I am thinking of pulling the trigger and getting either the Tivo Premier or Tivo Premier XL. I read the Specifications on the devices at Tivo.com, but they don't say anything about the hard drives, so I have a few questions.

1. Do both of these these have internal slots for just 2 drives like my old series 1 Tivo?
    2. Does the Tivo Premier 45hr and Tivo Premier XL 150hr each come with just one drive and an empty slot, or two drives?
    I am thinking about expanding it after I have had it for a while, and having 1 drive would make that the best choice it seems to just add another internal drive. I could get an external DVR Expander, but that would be my second choice. Any suggestions about this?

Thanks,
    Snack

19. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Both the Premiere and Premiere XL only have one internal drive. They also are not setup to use a second internal drive. The Premiere's factory internal drive is 320GB and the Premiere XL's is 1TB

However it is very easy to replace/upgrade the Internal drive of either too a 2TB drive. Which provides room for about 317 hours of HD TV.

You can buy a 2TB drive for around $80 and image it yourself or pay about $150 for one that is pre-imaged.

Good Luck,

20. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    For both models, there is only one internal drive. No room for a second (internal)drive. Capacity is increased by replacing the internal drive with a larger capacity drive, and/or adding an external drive via eSATA port.