Can I buy a 3 year prepaid and get MS Discount on existing unit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lenroc, Jul 24, 2007.

1. lenroc

lenroc New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    We are looking at buying a second TiVo.

I have had a Standalone Series 2 (240... model) for several years. I should have bought the lifetime sub when it was available, but I didn't. I've (almost) come to terms with that.

I see on the TiVo website* I can buy a dual-tuner series 2 for $100, and add 3 years of prepaid service for an extra $300. (Saving $168 over 3 years for a first-unit buyer, if I am doing my math right...)

Since I have an existing sub, I qualify for the multi-service discounted rate of $7/mo for this new unit. However, then I can't prepay. Over 3 years, my total service would be $720.

Which leads me to my question: Can I buy a 3 year prepaid plan with the new unit and get MS Discount on my existing unit?

If that was allowed, I could save $132 or so over the 3 years.

* Which I apparently can't name due to my limited post history.

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you gave us all the info except the one crucial piece - what is your existing sub now. Is it prepaid, part of a bundle deal. etc..

3. Eitel

Eitel Active Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Just get the discount rate on the new unit. Select a 3 years montly pay option. 36 months x $6.95 = $250.20 A savings of $50

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if the poster can do 3 yers prepaid on the first unit - usually at 12.95 and then do MSD on the current unit and whatever else poster buys - saves more money

5. lenroc

lenroc New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Sorry for leaving off that explicit detail. I pay $12.95 currently, no special deals, no package, no bundle.

6. lenroc

lenroc New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    250.20 + 12.95x36 (current unit) = 716.40

300 (new unit) + 6.95 x 36 (current unit, if I can get MSD on my current unit) = 550.20

Somewhere, I may have done my math wrong in the original post, because that looks to me like a savings of $166.20.

7. lenroc

lenroc New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Yes, that makes sense to me. That would work out to the same as what I want to do.

I didn't see a way to prepay 3 years of my current service on the TiVo website, though. Am I missing something?

The $300 "3 year" gift cards say that they can only be applied to new subscriptions.

Edit: Specifically, this page (https://www3.tivo.com/store/giftcard.do) says "3 years of service for the price of 2 years when redeemed towards a 3-year prepaid service plan." But I don't see a place to buy a prepaid service plan for my existing unit, neither on the TiVo.com store nor on my "Manage Account" page.

8. Eitel

Eitel Active Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Ah, Sorry, I see what you mean. When I bought mine today I was logged in, so it gave me the choice of 6.95 for 3 years as an add-on on the account. Didn't saw that you could get the same price by itself as a special offer.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    sorry. A little misundrstanding here

what I meant was get the 3 year prepaid on the first "new unit" you buy from TiVo.
    Now that you rpelied with the info on your current sub we know that sub price will automatically drop to 6.95 a month.
    after that when you buy any other DVR from tiVo - do not prepay but just agree to 3 years and they will bill monthly at 6.95 on that as well.

10. lenroc

lenroc New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Now I am confused. Does that mean that if I buy the new DT unit for $100, I will be billed $6.95 a month for both (total $13.90/mo)?

My understanding of the Multi-Service Discount was that I would continue to pay my current rate (12.95/mo) on the first unit, and that each additional unit (up to a certain limit) was $6.95/mo. Admittedly, my understanding may be flawed.

Edit:

Never mind, I reread your post and now I understand.

So, the answer to my question is "yes". I can buy a new unit with a 3-yr Prepaid Sub, and TiVo will automatically give me the Multi-Service Discount on my existing box.

Thanks!

11. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes you should automatically get the MSD on your existing box.

It is great News that Tivo now offers MSD on units purchased from Tivo.com.

It has long been talked about on this Forum. Maybe someone at Tivo was listening to us :D

12. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    It is my understanding that there is new language in the MSD section that explicitly states that you will NOT get your existing sub reduced with a multi year purchase on the TivoHD.

if you prepay the tivoHD it would be 8.83 and your current would remain @ 12.95.

link:

https://www3.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivomultiservicediscountagreement.html

QUOTE"

A. MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT for New Subscriptions Only. Beginning July 19, 2007, the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT will ONLY be applied to eligible new TiVo service subscriptions (defined below). The MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT cannot be applied to existing TiVo service subscriptions. For purposes of clarity, this means, for example, that if you have an existing full-priced Monthly Subscription to the TiVo service and then purchase a Prepaid Subscription to the TiVo service, the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT cannot be applied to your existing full-priced Monthly Subscription, only future new eligible TiVo service subscriptions (defined below). Existing TiVo service subscription are not eligible for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT. However, TiVo service subscriptions currently receiving the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT shall continue to receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT as long as their remains a Qualifying Subscription on the same TiVo customer account.

13. lenroc

lenroc New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    :( Ouch. Pretty much black & white, there. Thanks for pointing it out.

Nice misuse of "their". Can the whole section be scrapped for a grammar error? :p

14. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Third option:

Cancel sub on the 240 and purchase a second DT, giving you a total of 4 tuners.

100 (Extra DT) + 300 (First new unit) + 250.20(MSD on 2nd new unit) = 650.20

Still $66.40 less than your current option and you end up with 2 new DT's and a 240 unit that you might get a few $$'s for on ebay.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    sorry, not aware they were closing that loophole. So much for that.

still you can do what PeteW suggests and jsut cancel the 240 outright. you might be able to even wait a bit and then open a new sub on the 240 for the MSD rate - but you would have to agree to the 3 year term at that point.

16. lenroc

lenroc New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    That's a good option.

I am emotionally attached to my 240, since I have hacked it (I am more active on "the other forum", if that is still a common term here...), but that's certainly a consideration.

I guess I would also have to see if these DT units are hackable, but that's a matter for another thread.

Thanks to all for the responses.

17. bilbo

bilbo New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    fourth option:
    call up customer service and see what they can swing for you.
    they would probably rather you use your own box than subsidize a new one.

of course the new MSD policy practically begs people to harm tivo by buying new subsidized equipment.

fifth option:
    call up customer service to cancel to cancel 240
    customer service offers you $7 per month retention rate
    you accept it because you wanted to keep the 240 anyways.
    buy a $100 DT or maybe a $300 Tivo HD with this newly found money you have
    get MSD on the new Dual Tuner unit (Standard or High Definition)
    save $300 up front for the new SD DT or $100 up front with the HD
    end up paying a buck more than you are now

sixth option:
    call up CS to cancel 240
    CS actually does cancel 240 and doesn't offer you any type of retention offer
    buy the DT for $100 and $300 3-year pre-pay
    re-activate the 240 with MSD for $7 per month
    if CS doesn't let you reactive the 240 (highly doubtful) get another DT for $100