Can I add new service to a used TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cherylzyx, Dec 19, 2019.

1. cherylzyx

cherylzyx happy to be here :)

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK

Advertisements

I'm looking at getting a TiVo Roamio for OTA recording. Can I buy a used one and add a lifetime service?

I've searched and can't find the answer to this anywhere, I appreciate your help.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    cherylzyx likes this.
  3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yeah, get one with lifetime included. That will be far less expensive than adding it after the fact, which is also do-able.

Mikeguy, cherylzyx and dianebrat like this.
  4. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    What is wrong with the one we (me) recommended to you earlier this week...it's $50 CHEAPER than the very same one in the 1st reply here:
    TiVo Holiday Specials 2019
    Weaknees is great to do business with & it comes with a 90-day parts/labor warranty...pretty good for a reburbed unit if you ask me.

To answer this question, to add lifetime to any DVR that doesn't already have it, is currently $550...MORE than the cost of most of the DVR's themselves!
    https://www.tivo.com/buytivo/popups/popup_servicePlans.html
    Sometimes they do run "specials", but even those are usually at least $200 & don't come around too often.
    Also a word of warning...Tivo at one time did make some (very cheap) OTA Roamio's, that could specifically ONLY be used for ongoing service plans, & could NEVER be upgraded to allow lifetime (or all-in) service to EVER be added to them. Tivo will NOT bend on that, so if you end up unknowingly buying one of those, you either continually pay, or stop & have NO Tivo DVR that's now a paperweight!

Unless you're expecting to get the Tivo (box) AND lifetime service for FREE, I don't know much of a better deal that you're going to get than $300 at this point :confused:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Mikeguy likes this.
  5. cherylzyx

cherylzyx happy to be here :)

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK

Advertisements

That's ridiculous. It looks like I'll be getting the $300 TiVo that you recommended but I was also exploring every option. I didn't know how much or if it was possible to add service on a used machine. I asked because I like to look at all my options before I make a big purchase.

Thank you all though, I really do appreciate the help. Merry Christmas!

bam1220 and kpeters59 like this.