Can Hughes HDVR2 Lifetime be transfered?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Tokapeba, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Tokapeba

Tokapeba New Member

Oct 11, 2002

Advertisements

Can a lifetime sub from a Hughes HDVR2 be transfered to an s3 tivo?

Andy.

2. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Is that a DirecTivo?

If yes, then no.

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No.

4. Tokapeba

Tokapeba New Member

Oct 11, 2002
    To bad. I had a deal to get one for $80.

Andy.

5. Tokapeba

Tokapeba New Member

Oct 11, 2002

Advertisements

In the terms and conditions, #2 it says "Offer good for all subscribers with an existing paid Product Lifetime Service subscription."

Why doesn't this qualify?

6. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Basically because you are not a TiVo Inc. subscriber but instead a DirecTV subscriber.

No transfer of Lifetime Service with DirecTV because it is DirecTV DVR Lifetime Service, not TiVo Lifetime service. It was an offer made by DirecTV to DirecTV subscribers with a DirecTV with TiVo DVR and has always been billed and serviced by DirecTV. If you leave DirecTV as I just did , you lose your Lifetime Service associated with boxes that only work with DirecTV.

Lifetime service paid to TiVo Inc. is serviced by TiVo Inc. and is transferable to a new S3 until 12/31/06. TiVo Lifetime Service on TiVo stand alone boxes are listed in "Manage My Account" at tivo.com; DirecTV with TiVo DVR Lifetime Service is not.

7. Pab Sungenis

Pab Sungenis Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Vineland, NJ
    Actually, no. TiVo Lifetime for DirecTiVos was billed and managed by TiVo. When they transferred control over to DirecTV (around the time Series 2 DTiVos came out), lifetime was discontinued. However, DirecTV "honored" lifetime by not charging the DVR fee for boxes that had that service.

8. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    How did you get lifetime on an HDVR2? You couldn't get lifetime for D* by the time the HDVR2 was available.

9. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Because there is no such thing as a DirecTiVo with Product Lifetime Service.

When DirecTV took direct control of the customer base all Product Lifetime subscriptions were converted to Account Lifetime, and the Product Lifetime was removed from the unit. It ceased to exist for all units.

10. szohn

szohn New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    As someone who purchased a DTivo and Product Lifetime Subscription before DTV took control of thier units, I now feel doubly screwed.

First I paid for a subcription that a 2 months later would have been free and never saw any meaningful software upgrades, now I find out that the $250 I gave directly to tivo doesn't even get me any loyalty.

I was considering 2 S3, trading in my dtivo and using my one chance upgrade on my original series 1 that i bought when they were over a grand, but if this is how tivo treats it's early adopters I think I'll wait for vista/mce and see what it has to offer.

11. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    Free? D* charge for the DVR service if you didn't have lifetime. (Or do you get the premier package?)

12. szohn

szohn New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Yes, I'm a permier user. But I'd gladly give up dtv to go back to a real tivo, I didn't know I'd become a tivo b@stard child by buying it back then.