Can FiOS cable cards be installed without a Tech?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Makmcm, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1 of 42
    Makmcm

Makmcm New Member

Sep 24, 2001
    When the Techs came to my house to install FiOS tv, they said that the cable cards for my HD TiVo were on order, and they would come back when they came in. After a week and half, I called Verizon and was told that they did not see any order for CCs for me, but that they would order them right then and have them mailed to me, for me to install myself. I asked the phone rep if Techs would need to come in person to install them, and she said no, that if I needed to activate them I could call Fiber Solutions and they could do it over the phone.

On one of these threads, someone said that Verizon does not ship CCs directly to customers, and that my order would probably be cancelled. Has anyone ever received CCs in the mail from FiOS and installed them yourself? (I e-mailed Verizon to ask them to clarify the order/installation procedure, but they have not responded. If I try calling them, I end up on hold for over an hour, so I'm hoping someone here can share their experience.) Thank you.

2. Jan 8, 2008 #2 of 42
    vfrjim

vfrjim New Member

Dec 17, 2007
    No, you do not need a tech to do the install, it is pretty easy to do.

3. Jan 8, 2008 #3 of 42
    bhaas

bhaas New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    MD
    I just requested 2 more cards for my 2nd HD, and they insisted that they send them to me and I install them myself. Saves a truck roll and saves me the charge. They're even sending a return box to ship the old STB back in.

Will keep all posted on how the activation goes.

4. Jan 8, 2008 #4 of 42
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It is a waste of time to try to get CableCards shipped to you with FiOS.

The Verizon order system currently allows CableCards to be selected for shipment to the customer. To the sales representative, this looks like this something they can do. From their end, they are able to submit the order.

Unfortunately, these CableCard shipments are canceled later in processing, because they require a truck roll. If you allow a rep to try and ship you cards, you're just creating an extra 1-2 week delay and more runaround. Instead, tell the rep that you want an installation appointment with a truck roll to install two CableCards on an existing TV outlet. Remind them that you are not installing any new TVs or outlets.

When scheduling, I strongly recommend the earliest possible appointment time (8am?).

5. Jan 9, 2008 #5 of 42
    lrntowrench

lrntowrench New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Agreed. Verizon consistently refuses to send customers cablecards without a truck roll. Further (having two THDs) my installs took about 5hrs for the first, and probably around 8 for the second. Seems like a VERY long delay from the time the tech logs into the system to provision the cards to the time that the system starts hitting the cards.

6. Jan 9, 2008 #6 of 42
    RossoNeri

RossoNeri Tech Geek

Nov 26, 2005
    Herndon, VA
    Maybe I was lucky but my S-Card installs in my THD took less than 30 minutes total for both cards and worked perfectly the first time around.

Needed a truck roll though. Does ANY provider not require a truck roll?

Cheers.

7. Jan 9, 2008 #7 of 42
    cuso

cuso New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    GREAT I called Verizon on December 30th to request two cable cards for my TiVoHD and they said oh we will save you the charge and just send them to you. They said I should have them BY 01/11/2008 but after reading all this i am not confident that i am actually going to get them. I'll keep you posted if they came and if i was able to install them w/o a Fios Tech.

8. Jan 9, 2008 #8 of 42
    jdsnov73

jdsnov73 New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Comcast let me pickup my M-card and install it myself. Took about 20 minutes total to activate the card, with about 12 minutes of that being on hold waiting for the tech to give the card info to.

I was surprised they let me pick up the cards myself, but they said in the past they had so many problems with them and nobody really knew what exactly to do, they required a tech to install them. But now the process does not require it, and I'm glad for that!

9. Jan 9, 2008 #9 of 42
    Makmcm

Makmcm New Member

Sep 24, 2001
    So I guess I'll wait until 1/18 to see if the cards arrive and do the install myself. When the Techs were here during the installation of the other boxes, they did mention that they could just "drop off" the cards if they found them, and that I could do them, so I guess Verizon somehow streamlined the process and/or the cards have changed so that they can be self-installed without a truck roll.

I'm just tired of having only a few channels to watch, with most of what's on being repeats. On the bright side, I'm almost caught up watching all the other shows I've recorded. :rolleyes:

10. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Oh I'm in cablecard HELL with FIOS right now. Eff'ing idiots. Three different calls to CONFIRM the order included cablecards and each time they didn't, but they added them. Cripes, I fully expected to get SIX of them. But nooooooooo! They botched it. No cablecards, and worse yet, they mysteriously canceled the phone line!

Then it was customer service HELL. All damned day, on hold, being transferred, being offered one excuse and lie after the next.

And to make matters worse, I'm on hold for 40 minutes to talk to one department, only to be told it's another department that has to handle it.... and that department closed 20 minutes ago! ARRRRGGGGH!

I'm going to yank their chain hard on this one and then just cancel the whole eff'ing thing. I'm THAT fed up with their nonsense.

11. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    My friends story:

*) Verizon sales sent him four cablecards.
    *) Verizon sales then closed the order - work done
    *) Cablecards arrive Friday
    *) Cablecards could not be added to the account - no open order
    *) Noone could open the order after COB friday, nor over the weeked
    *) He called and called, got managers, all who promised they'd get the order opened back up - nothing.
    *) He is warned by someone on BBRReports that reopening the sales order will get him sent 4 more cablecards.
    *) Monday he calls up, Sales cannot open the order without selling him something
    *) While on the phone with verizon sales, there's a knock at the door, it's a verizon guy with four more cablecards.
    *) I die laughing.
    *) Everything is straightened out that day
    *) Billing is screwed up for 4 months. No paper bill is sent, but credit card is autocharged. It takes another two months to untangle.

They may have good technology - but they have some procedural issues...

-Ken

12. Makmcm

Makmcm New Member

Sep 24, 2001
    The phone rep that ordered my 2 CC's a week ago called this morning to say that she had been misinformed, and that Verizon will not mail CC's to customers. She commented that Verizon seems to mail out virtually everything else, so she didn't know why these cards couldn't be mailed.

She then said she needed to schedule an appointment for a Tech to come and install. The first available weekend date would be mid-February(!), so we opted for MLK day on 1/21. So it will be almost one month from the time the Techs installed FiOS TV on the other tvs in the house to when my TiVo finally gets the cards.

13. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Cripes, tell him to GIVE ME two of those damned cards. I'll drive up from Bethesda for them.

They completely bunged up my order. Long story short, I finally got through to cancellation and RAISED HOLY HELL. Funny how effective the reps in the cancellation department can be at rectifying order screw ups. No way they want to take the loss for setting up the wire and having it canceled the very next day.

Supposedly my two cards come next Wednesday. But my phone is still not installed, and won't be until ANOTHER truck roll on Feb 4th. Neither situation will actually require any physical work. Everything's wired up. They'll just need to light up dial-tone on the ONT and program in the cablecards. But instead of just doing THAT they'll screw up two of MY days sitting around waiting for techs to arrive.

As I refer to them, "Surprizon" never ceases to amaze me with how utterly wretched they are at dealing with solving problems THEY cause.

I fully expect to have to wage billing battles too.

But on the upside, the 15/5 speed is great! And the actiontec router's not too bad at programmable options. Even VOD works nicely. I used it combined with manual recording on the Tivo to catch up on an episode of CSI:NY I missed.

14. harkov

harkov New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I've been stuck in verizon hell for over 4 weeks. They have missed two appointments because I fell for the self install trap, and when the tech finally did come out he couldn't get the cards to work. I checked the tivo cablecard faq, but didnt get anywhere. He had no idea what he was doing and told me that he could only install the cards in a tv. I spent over a half hour educating him on cable cards but it was a waste of time. I think it's pretty sad when the customer has to do all the leg work, but I really want my new tivo to work. Now I have to wait till Monday to set up a new install. Any advice for the next time they show up?

15. LaceyS

LaceyS New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I just called Verizon to order cable cards, fully expecting to also schedule a time for the tech to come out. But the phone rep said that they could just mail them to me. I didn't believe her so she conferenced in tech support and the guy said that yes I can install them myself. I was still skeptical so I started searching on here and found these posts -- from last January. Does anyone know if Verizon has changed their policy since then and will in fact just mail out the cable cards without a tech visit?

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    They have not.

Verizon's order system still lists CableCards just like any other piece of equipment that can be ordered and shipped via Fedex. The representative can place an order, and it will seem to go through, but it will never be processed. As I mentioned above, any CableCard order without an installation appointment will not be processed; you'll be waiting and waiting until you call and schedule an appointment.

17. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Every TiVo includes a setup sheet to help inexperienced installers with the CableCard activation.

The basic installation process for a FiOS installer would be:
    1. Write down the serial number for the CableCard.

2. Insert the first CableCard into slot1 (right) on the TivoHD.

3. Wait 120 seconds for the CableCard Pairing screen to be displayed. If they don't want to wait, they can go to Messages & Settings -> Account & System Information -> CableCard Decoders -> CableCard 1 -> CableCard Menu -> CableCard Pairing to display the screen instantly.

[​IMG]
    4. Enter appropriate information on Verizon laptop.

5. If using two S-Cards instead of one M-Card, repeat steps #1-5 for the second CableCard, using slot2 (left) and the CableCard 2 menu instead.

From what I've seen, activation isn't instant. After the installer entered the information into their system, it took 3-5 minutes before I could tune cable channels on my TiVo. Do not let the installer leave until you can tune to a cable channel on each tuner.

Do not test with only local channels, because locals will work even if the card isn't activated properly. To be absolutely sure all CableCards are activated properly, I would suggest you pause two different HD cable channels such as 551-TNTHD and 570-ESPNHD (one on each tuner) and make sure you can switch between them. To switch tuners, you can pause a channel and press the LiveTV button; alternatively, you can the press right arrow to display the OSD, and then press the down arrow to select the other tuner.

After the installer leaves, run Settings -> Guided Setup to enter your zip code, select the appropriate channel lineup, and retrieve guide information. Installers generally prefer that you do this after they leave, because it can take 15+ mins to complete.

18. LaceyS

LaceyS New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't exactly answer my question. I'm asking whether what the Verizon phone rep said was true -- will Verizon allow me to install them myself? This thread is full of posts about how people were told that and then it turned out that they had to schedule a tech -- wasting a lot of time in the process. Since I can't find anything about this since last January I am wondering if these days Verizon will let you install the cable cards yourself. If someone knows then maybe I can get a head start on calling back and just scheduling the tech, rather than waiting for the cards to get here and then having to call when they don't work.

19. g1230g

g1230g New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I don't think that there is an official policy from Verizon, I called yesterday..three times...and one rep said "we can mail them" and another said "we must schedule a service call"...

...so I think that there is no concrete answer to be had....

20. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I thought the answer was pretty clear. Perhaps you were looking at the wrong post?

No matter what a representative says, Verizon will not allow you to install cards yourself.