Can Comcast ever get the m card going??

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by zig123, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1 of 15
    zig123

zig123 New Member

May 2, 2004
    Here's a copy of my email to comcast:

To whom:

I have been trying to get a M series cable that works for three weeks now. Yesterday I went to the local Comcast store and got the third (3) cable card. Called the activation line after work and all they could get on it was the basic channels. I don’t want or want to pay for all the pay channels (HBO,Showtime etc) but I would like to get the ones I do pay for ex History, ESPN, USA etc. Since I’m tired wasting my time and my gas going to the Comcast store every couple of days I have an appoint to the cable guy to come out this coming Sat. I asked that they put a note on his work order to bring a pocket full of cable cards so I don’t have to make more appointments.

Please look at the notes for my cable card history. It was first card said it was bad went and got the second card. On Friday evening we got that one going and I was so happy I didn’t even check all the channels. Called back Sat when I saw I was only getting the basic group. The phone tech Sat got them going and they lasted a week till this past Sat. when they dropped out again. After another couple of hours on the phone I was told it was my account that was authorizing the right programming and they couldn’t get them on the weekend to fix it. Then on Monday we tried again and still only basic. Said it was another bad card. As stated at the top of this email what happened yesterday.

This isn’t new tech, your Comcast boxes (the HD DVR ones any way) use the same cards for the signal decoding. I don’t understand why someone can’t get this to work. I know it’s not on my end because the one guys got it going fine for a week or so. Please have someone follow up on this because it’s getting absurd at this point. And tell billing I would like a rebate on a week of service to basic because that’s all I’m getting.

2. Oct 5, 2011 #2 of 15
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The odds that the card itself is bad are very slim.

Do you have an SA or Motorola card?

3. Oct 6, 2011 #3 of 15
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    i went through this today.

The host and data where wrong in the comcast system. You should be able to call up and give them the Serial Number and then ask them to confirm the host and data numbers.

To add to this: in the comcast system where the old cards data and host numbers

4. Oct 6, 2011 #4 of 15
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Did you re-run guided setup after a working card was installed?

5. Oct 6, 2011 #5 of 15
    zig123

zig123 New Member

May 2, 2004
    It's a Motorola S card

6. Oct 6, 2011 #6 of 15
    zig123

zig123 New Member

May 2, 2004
    Yes rebooted and reran the setup several times

7. Oct 6, 2011 #7 of 15
    finleyrc

finleyrc New Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Reposting this for what it's worth. Seeing this topic frequently. I had a very similar frustrating experience dealing w/RCN in Chicago.

As long as it's a Tivo you purchased (not monthly rental from cable co.) you can cut to the chase calling Tivo cablecard hotline.

Tivo will check & usually confirm it's a pairing issue 1st. They will then do a 3 way call to your cable co. tech. support with you & (usually) resolve the problem shortly. Highly recommend you give them a try.

From the tivo.com site support article titled "CableCARD hotline: Special help with your CableCARD issues":

If you were unable to find a solution for troubleshooting your CableCARD, please contact our CableCARD hotline:

Phone number: 866-986-8486

Hours of operation:

Monday - Friday, 7 AM Pacific Time to 7 PM Pacific Time
    Saturday - Sunday, 8 AM Pacific Time to 6 PM Pacific Time

8. Oct 6, 2011 #8 of 15
    rvsj

rvsj Member

Dec 20, 2007
    So which is it?
    Your first post says M card.
    This post says S card.
    An S card will not work in a Premier, it must be an M card.

9. Oct 6, 2011 #9 of 15
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    search the forums for the comcast cares phone number and email address. contact them.

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Make sure it is an M card, not S. Your other symptoms sound like the card is paired, but not validated.

11. zig123

zig123 New Member

May 2, 2004
    sorry it's a M card when they asked if it was Motorola I put the S by mistake

12. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    There is an official Comcast CableCard thread in the Series 3 forum, that is a good resource.

I would suggest:

1. File a complaint with the FCC: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

2. Go to: http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx and tell them about the problem you are having. Mention that you filed a complaint. Others have said tweeting them works too, so you may want to try that.

3. Wait for a call back, e-mail.

The most likely problem is that they didn't properly enter the "Data" field. This is a perennial problem with Comcast. Did you use the dedicated Comcast CableCard Activation number: 877-405-2298? If not, that maybe something you want to try.

13. zig123

zig123 New Member

May 2, 2004
    email to comcast
    10/9/2011

Ginger
    Office of Rick Germano

After three wasted trips to the Comcsast Store and several hours on the phone to tech we got the Tivo with the M card up and running. Since I was tired going back and forth the Comcast Store I had a tech come out yesterday (Sat) . After checking the signal to the box he emailed (texted) his dispatch who told him I couldn’t get any HD channels because a “promotion” expired. I go “Fine I’ll thank them for letting me know”. So I called sales-upgrades and she said “no, what happened was when I turned in the Comcast HD DVR the store girl also cancelled the HD service”. Since the Tivo Premiere does very well with HD all I wanted to do was turn in the Comcast box not loose more than half of my channels. Anyhow she turned them on and we were fine.
    So for a training memo:
    1. Tell your cable card activation dept to be sure to check what programming is authorized on a customer’s account before spending hours trying to turn on something that it’s not coded to receive. (not to mention sending me to replace “BAD” cards)
    2. Have your Comcast Store people ask a customer when they turn in a HD DVR if they also want to cancel the HD service (and all the HD channels). All she said was “Sign this (the receipt) please” ; “Thank you”.
    Please pass this on to the proper depts. Because I’m sure I wasn’t the first or will be the last with this problem.
    Thanks,
    John Ziegler

14. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I am glad you got it worked out! Too bad you had to go through all that trouble. It seems like a big oversight from those that were troubleshooting it at Comcast. I hope you didn't have to pay for the truck roll.

15. zig123

zig123 New Member

May 2, 2004
    The comcast tech was for no charge and he felt since they missed me over so badly he put in for a $20 credit. Cool