Can Cable Company Block All Digital Channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ldudek, Mar 27, 2008.

1. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007

Advertisements

Recently my cable company, TW decided to put all digital channels at 0x02. So I can't move them from one TiVo to another. Is this legal? I understand HBO, Showtime, but Hallmark, Cartoon channel? All of these channels were either unrestricted or just 0x01 previously.

Do I have any recourse? FCC?

2. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    You can contact your franchise authority. You could contact TW and see what the scoop is, they may have misconfigured something in locking down HBO, etc.

3. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    I don't think there are any FCC regulations or legal authority to prevent them from doing that.

Al

4. menos

menos New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Moore, OK
    as long as they don't lock down the locals they can do whatever they want. You can complain but it probably won't help.

5. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL

Advertisements

Although your right that they can lock down the channels, if you browse this forum, you wlll find in most cases it is just a mistake and simply contacting the cable company will get the situation fixed.

6. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    What channels are supposed to be included with in the cable package you subscribed to and are paying for? Those are the only channels they are obligated to provide to you.

7. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    Good luck to you. Here in Raleigh NC, we have the same issue. All the digital channels are blocked by the 0x02 code except for the local channels and about two weeks ago or so TWC moved its analog channels to digital so now I can't move shows from Sci-Fi or History to my series 2 or to my laptop. I haven't tried contacting TWC of Raleigh yet been busy doing other things.

8. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002

Who would be the franchise authority for Time Warner Cincinnati?

9. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Try the City of Cincinnati.

10. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Well explain this: Let's say the cable companies can restrict digital channels. Let's say you have a TiVo Series 2. Now you can't move programs on digital channels on a Series 2?

This just doesn't make sense.

11. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    The cable companies can and do (especially TW Cable) restrict digital channels. however, the Series 2 does not and cannot read the CCI byte. It CAN, however, read the macrovision flag, but that's not supposed to be set (but it's happened quite frequently enough).

So as long as you use your Series 2 for analog stations or with a STB for digital, then you're okay. But if you get an S3 or TivoHD, and you're in TW country, then you have a good chance of getting hosed.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It is listed on every bill. If you pay online, then you should be able to view the bill online.

13. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    You may be right, but I'm still fighting it. The thinking behind it is ridiculous.

And it's not like I record that much digital, matter of fact I don't record hardly anything. I think my TiVo HD picked up some "AWA Wrestling." Now why in God's name does that need copy protection? This is nothing but old garbage.

14. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    After checking with a lawyer, who then took some time to do some research.

this is what he told me.

Any DIGITAL Channel that is NOT also an OTA Channel CAN BE copy protected.

The ONLY channels that may NOT be copy protected are any ANALOG stations or Digital stations that are ALSO broadcast OTA.

Some cable company systems in some areas of the country are scheduled to SWITCH to an ALL DIGITAL ONLY system as early as Q1 2011.

Thus... if you want this changed... THE LAW HAS TO BE CHANGED...

The ONLY way to change the law is to WRITE your congressman/Senator. Writing the FCC won't change anything. We have to change the law & to do that, Congress, The Senate and the President have to sign it into Law.

This is an ELECTION year... Congress, The Senate and even our proposed future President tend to listen to us more in electon years than other years.

If ENOUGH people COMPLAIN then our congressman/senators WILL do something, but only if enough people write & complain.

TGC

15. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Here is what I found in regards to SHOWS &/or Channels being copy protected with the flag.

Seems every cable system is different.

Example. One person here claimed that Discovery HD was being copy protected. In my area it isn't and I can MRV/Copy anything from Discovery HD.

On the other hand. In my area... HBO (All channels) have 100% copy protection on every single show on every single HBO channel. Others here have claimed that some of their HBO shows aren't or weren't copy protected. According to HBO. All shows on all channels SHOULD be copy protected.

Seems other channels are the same way. Some that are "protected" in one area AREN'T in another area.

Obviously NO consistantcy across our great nation.

After a little research here is what I have found.

ALOT depends on the "CONTRACT" between the Channel and the cable provider.

Example... HBO which is owned by Time Warner has an internal contract to copy protect their channel. There are a "FEW" cable companies that don't have the specific clause in their OLD contracts yet & as a result those cable companies may or may not put the copy flag on HBO.

Other channels such as SCI-Fi, BBCA, etc... are similar as well.

Now it is TRUE, that some cable company employees/management don't fully comprehend the copy protection flag & DON'T have it properly set on their end either.

Legally speaking, from what I learned after contacting a lawyer in this field. The only channels a cable company may NOT enable the copy flag on, are Broadcast channels that are available OTA, & any analog channels. ALL other channels are FAIR GAME for the copy protection flag.

IF we TRULY wish to change this. We MUST write our Congressmen, Senators. Writing the FCC on this issue WON'T solve the problem

As more and more "Cable Only" channels realize the what copy flag can do for them. The more they will enable it. We NEED to show the cable industry, that enableing the flag will HURT their Buisness model.

I have DROPPED HBO, SHOWTIME and a few of the other premium channels. I then sent a letter/email to Time Warner Cable, HBO, Showtime telling them that I canceled those channels because of their policy on the "Copy Protection" flag. Any shows that I do want to watch, I will obtain via bootleg means &/or rental of DVD.

What I am trying to say, is that Cable companies AREN'T the only ones to blame. The problem is only going to get worse not better. We need to change the laws if we want things to get better. The only way push for the laws to change is to write you senators &/or congressmen.

TGC

16. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    Which also means Tivo had better find a way to stream its content between its boxes thereby bypassing the copy restriction flag, or the whole MRV thing in a few years is gonna suck the big hairy moose youknowwhat.

[NG]Owner

17. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    I doubt seriously Tivo will ever subvert the copy restriction flag. Whether or not the content providers decide to allow an additional copy is another matter entirely.

18. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I can almost promise you that TiVo won't ever subvert the Copy Restriction flag. TiVo does it's best to stay out of the court system as defendants as much possible.

Content providers well thats another story. They won't do anything to let us copy unless they can make money at it, or are forced to by our government.

TGC

19. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    Guys, streaming isn't subversive.

The OP stated he can't move stuff from one Tivo to another, e.g., MRV is busted. Tivo, at some point in their infinite wisdom, decided it made more sense to copy a program from Tivo to another Tivo to permit viewing. Everyone else in this industry streams the content. Nope, not Tivo. They copy it. Whoops. Copy flags now prohibit it. MRV in the crapper.

Well since copying content from one box to another box will no longer work, Tivo will have to design and implement a solution along the lines of Microsoft's X360 and Mediacenter where the content is streamed not copied. That's all I was suggesting. Didn't anybody else follow that? Streaming will get past the 0xo2 issue the OP had. If others have success streaming, why shouldn't Tivo follow their lead?

[NG]Owner

20. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    And probably the reason that if they ever come out with a true HD Slingbox, I'll probably buy one.