Can anyone help diagnose what this problem is? Please?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ziggie, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1 of 35
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    [​IMG]

For the last month, my TiVo guide has been unable to get data on about 40 different channels. It can read most of the guide, but fails when the channels are in the upper HD range.

It obtains the map data (channel number and channel ID logo), but the guide grid remains "to be announced".

Comcast has been out here to the house 5x so far and can't figure out what's wrong. It's happening on 2 different units.. (1) Premiere and (1) HD regular.

I've done the entire "guide setup" from scratch (twice) on each unit. The image above was when it was coming up from one of the guided setups.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

2. Feb 5, 2012 #2 of 35
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Is this a Comcast branded TiVo? If not (or even if they are), call TiVo support for help.

At first blush it looks like the TiVo has not been activated. and you only have partial functionality. Check your account status and that you daily calls have been successful.

3. Feb 5, 2012 #3 of 35
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Normally I'd blame the cablecard first but you would think that it wouldn't happen on both boxes. That being said, have you and/or Comcast verified that the cablecards are still properly paired?

4. Feb 5, 2012 #4 of 35
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    It looks to me like the guide data isn't being downloaded from Tivo. You could try a force connect and see what happens.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 35
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate it. I will try to respond to your questions:

Matt, both of the boxes were ordered directly from TiVo. This particular set has been running for years. This problem started about a month ago. There are no account issues, or anything like that. Forced reboots, repeated guided setups have all been done.

lillevig, the cards are working properly otherwise. They've been checked quite a few times.

Thunder, that's been done quite a few times.

I want to say that we *do know* it's not a signal problem (coming into the house). If the tech hooks up a regular digital HD box, all the data is there. When he reconnects TiVo, the guide data is missing.

6. Feb 5, 2012 #6 of 35
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What is your zipcode and what lineup are you using? Also, what is the status of the most recent connect attempt by the TiVos?

As far as the cable box having guide data while the TiVo does not - the STB gets everything via the cable. The TiVo gets it's guide data from TiVo via the net.

7. Feb 5, 2012 #7 of 35
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Zip code is 33467. The lineup is Comcast West Palm Beach /Palm Beach Co. - Cable (West Palm Beach).

I didn't know that about the TiVo guide. Where is it getting my data from exactly?

8. Feb 5, 2012 #8 of 35
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I looked at zap2it and that is definitely the wrong lineup. It is an analog lineup, no digital channels at all. You need to redo guided setup and select either

Comcast West Palm Beach /Palm Beach Co. - Digital Rebuild

or

Comcast Palm Beach Gardens / Martin - Digital Rebuild

Both are a match for the partial lineup you provided.

Your TiVos get their guide data through the internet. @ every 28 hours, they connect to a TiVo site and download the data for the guide. TiVo gets the guide data from Tribune Media Services (TMS). TMS owns zap2it, which is why I went there to find the correct lineup.

9. Feb 5, 2012 #9 of 35
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    lpwcomp, I will begin a new guided setup using the information you have so kindly provided. I'm truly hoping this will solve the problem once and for all :up:

Thank you again for taking the time to help me with this. I truly appreciate it. I will keep you updated.

10. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Well, it was a valiant effort, but it didn't work :(

The only lineups my Tivo offered to connect to were these:

Comcast Boca Raton/Delray Beach
    Comcast West Palm Beach/Palm Beach Co.
    Comcast Palm Beach Gardens/Martin

As you can see at zapit, none of them match what I need :(

11. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    lpwcomp, is there a way to find out which area codes would offer me the correct lineup?

What I'm saying is, rather than use 33467, is there a way to find out which nearby area code I could "tell" TiVo to use so that it offers me the correct lineup choice during guided setup?

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The cable company's box gets its guide data over the cable from the cable company, who, one would expect, know what their lineup is as well as anyone else, if not better,although I don't know for sure and certain where they get the info on what's on those channels when. Probably from Tribune Media Services.

The TiVo gets its guide data from the TiVo servers that get it from Tribune, but I'm not certain from where they get the actual cable lineups to match that "what's on which channel when" info to. If TiVo doesn't have the correct lineup info for your cable service, for instance if it still has the old analog lineup instead of the new digital lineup, then there might be a problem matching up the what's on which when with the channel lineup, so you should probably call TiVo and see if you can straighten them out.

13. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    You're right unitron, TiVo is not offering me the lineup I need when going through the guided setup.

I will call TiVo first thing in the morning.

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I wish I could say I did but I don't. I got to those lineups by giving zap2it that zipcode.

Did you try selecting Comcast West Palm Beach/Palm Beach Co. and see if it has sub-selections? Or maybe asks you questions about what is on which channel?* If that doesn't work, then TiVo must be notified so they can provide you with the correct set of available lineups. One way or another, it will get fixed.

*If my Premiere and THD weren't tied up, I'd try it myself but that is not an option until 1AM.

15. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Yes, I sure did try. In fact, I even tried the option "my lineup isn't shown" (or words to that effect) but it only questions me about lower-end channels.

I'll call TiVo tomorrow. Comcast is on their way out here again, but if I'm understanding the posts in this thread, this isn't a Comcast problem at all.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It might be a Comcast problem to the extent that they changed their lineup and didn't get the new info out to TiVo promptly.

Although I can't imagine a cable company that makes extra money renting DVRs wanting to make their subscribers' TiVo experience less pleasant.:rolleyes::D

17. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Down here, Comcast can't seem to figure out the simplest of problems. I'm sure this one has sent them over the edge! ;)

18. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since zap2it has 10 Comcast lineups for that zip code, I don't see how it can be a Comcast problem.

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Ok. I repeated guided setup on my Premiere, using your zip code. Selected Comcast West Palm Beach/Palm Beach Co. as the lineup, answered the "what is on this channel" questions, using the zap2it guide for Comcast West Palm Beach /Palm Beach Co. - Digital Rebuild to determine what the answer should be (I think they were the defaults anyway). Let it complete and I had guide data for your configuration, including for the channels in your initial post. If you see this b4 calling TiVo, my advice would be to repeat guided setup and let it complete and see if that fixes it. My thinking at this point is that somehow you got the wrong lineup and that, even though they are low numbered channels, answering the questions enables the TiVo to choose the correct lineup.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'd keep everything crossed, like that Polar bear in one of the Coke Super Bowl ads but I don't have anyone to hand me a straw, much less a coke. It's also just about impossible to type like that so I guess I'll have to make it virtual finger crossing.;)

20. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    lpwcomp, that's exactly (step-for-step) what I've done in 3 separate guided setups (just this past weekend). Sadly, it does not work. No matter how many times I run the guided setup, the guide never receives data for the high-end channels. Plus, I'm doing these guided setups on 2 different types of TiVos, but the results are still the same (no data).

Aw, the polar bears were cute, weren't they? ;)