Can any current models use a cable box instead of cable cards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by funtoupgrade, May 3, 2011.

1. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Just wondering whether any of the current TiVo models allow the option of using cable boxes instead of cable cards? Cable cards are a hugh pain here in Orange County CA where the Time Warner monopoly refuses to let its customers pair up cable cards on the phone and requires a tech visit so they can call in the numbers. This fact coupled with the fact that a clear and delete everything unpairs cable cards makes cable boxes more attractive even if I had to have two.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Simple answer is no. The last TiVo that could record from a cable box was a series 2 and of course that was only in SD.

You can have a HTPC built that can record HD from a HD cable box by using a Hauppauge HD PVR Box .

Thanks,

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If you can wait, beginning sometime in July, cable companies have to allow customers to self-install cablecards if they already allow self-installation of leased set-top boxes.

4. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    They'll probably find SOME loophole so they don't have to. I know TW charges $25 here for a CC install, apparently even if it isn't successful lol First time they came, the installer had NO idea what he was doing, and wouldn't let me do it myself (I probably could have had it done in 5 mins). After talking with a supervisor and agreeing to reschedule the install, he left. When I got my next bill, there were *TWO* CC install charges. When I called, they tried to blame ME and said something must have been wrong with the Tivo, and I had switched it with another in between appointments. I told them it was the SAME Tivo both times. After a 3-way call with Tivo confirming that it was in fact the same Tivo, they RELUCTANTLY agreed to reverse the charge, but they REALLY didn't want to.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The cable company will inflict needless hassle on you in getting the card installed, but once that's done, it's a much better experience than having a TiVo control an external box. Plus, if you give in on this, you're letting the bastards win.