Can an HR10-250 be used as standalone OTA HD receiver?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Rich Peterson, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Rich Peterson

Rich Peterson AVS Press

Jan 7, 2000
    St Paul, MN

Advertisements

Starting tonight I am finally replacing my HR10-250 with a new DIRECTV HD DVR to get DIRECTV HD channels. The Tivo still gets OTA HDTV beautifully. Is there any chance I could use it with an OTA-only HDTV just to allow me to pause live HD (with no guide or anything) without paying DIRECTV for it? I have a bedroom TV I use pretty much only for watching local news in the morning while getting ready so that would be perfect.

Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes, your HR10-250 will work fine for OTA reception without any DirecTV subscription or connection. You won't have any Guide Data of course. But you should be able to pause Live TV within the 30-min record buffer.

3. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    There is no need for him to disconnect from the satellite, from which he can continue to get guide data.

Beyond the buffer and the guide, continuing capabilities of the HR10 are more ethical/moral/legal questions than technical.

If a person finds himself with an abandoned piece of gear, he may believe he is OK in pursuing capabilities (limited obviously to OTA) which were previously totally out of bounds.

4. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I don't think you'll get Guide Data unless you maintain an active subscription and satellite connection.

5. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005

Advertisements

Only the satellite connection is required to get guide data (which is what Wil said above). You don't need an active subscription or even an access card in the HR10-250 to get the guide data. You also get the benefit of the DUAL live buffers both functioning just fine, so the HR10-250 makes a very nice OTA tuner.

6. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Cool! Good to know. Thanks.

7. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    YES you get guide data.....with a sat input while deactivated.

8. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Now, how do we make the buffer longer than 30 minutes?

9. codespy

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    I thought about hiring a 16 year old computer guru.....they know everything. :)

10. Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI

That's another reason I like my HR2x's.....

11. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I've got mine set up with dual 90-minute buffers. It requires hacking the HR10-250. I also have a few HR10-250s networked together and I'm running mfs_ftp & MovieLoader to insert/extract/transfer recordings between them.

Just a setup note for anyone interested in using their HR10-250 as an OTA tuner: If you go through Guided Setup and tell it you have OTA only, then you won't get any guide data. You need to set it to Satellite & OTA and tell it you have two satellite feeds connected (if you want dual buffers). It will fail the connection test, but you will then be good to go. You just need to unselect all channels except the OTA ones in the channel list.

12. Rich Peterson

Rich Peterson AVS Press

Jan 7, 2000
    St Paul, MN
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. Good information. I will deactivate my HR10-250 and move it to my bedroom OTA-only TV.

But the possibility of getting guide data is appealing so I have another question:

I have 2 cables from the dish going to a room where I have an HR-21 and 2 more from the dish going to another room where I have an HR-23. The room where I'm moving my HR10-250 for OTA-only isn't wired for satellite. Is there a manual somewhere someone could point me to to help me figure out how to tap 2 more cables from the dish and run them up to a 3rd room? I think that's what I would need to do to get the local guide data.

13. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    You would just need to hook up a Zinwell WB68 6x8 Multi-switch. You run 4 lines into it from the dish, and it gives you 8 lines out. You can probably pick one up on ebay for $10-$15.

14. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    It won't work as an OTA ONLY DVR though will it?

15. codespy

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    No recording while deactivated....but you get cruise control functions and the buffer(s). And you can still watch all your programs in the NPL.

16. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I was afraid of that. Was thinking about buying one to use as an OTA DVR and turning Directv off.

17. codespy

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    You can....Just cannot record.

I have one or two coming up soon to sell that have 250gig drives....now that I have 4 units w/750's deactivated to use as OTA DVplayers.

18. STL

STL New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    So do you use movieloader to get the video onto the HR10s?

19. codespy

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    No....movies and programs already recorded. Can be played back forever after deactivation.

20. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    Another question, I have an Tivo S2 that is connected but is failing that I also only use to watch the news on occasion. I have an extra Hr10-250 but have not used it to replace the S2 because it seems D* always figures out a way to add another 2 year committment. If I do not deactivate the S2 and just connect the Hr10 in place of the S2, will it activate or just function as an OTA tuner as discussed above?