Can a VideoReDo .vprj file be used on a *copy* of a .tivo file?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dougmeister, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Member

Mar 28, 2007

Advertisements

I had recorded "Apollo 13" and wanted to remove the swearing for my youngest children. I went the whole way through the movie, but when I went to re-save the file, Tivo Desktop threw the dreaded error:

"Mpeg stream error couldn't find an i/p frame sequence to decode videoredo".

So I Googled it and the answer was to do a QuickStream Fix. That seemed to work, but... now all of my edits need to be redone.

The resulting "fixed" .tivo file is approximately 100 MB larger. Is there ANY way to save the edits from the "bad" .tivo file or do I just have to open up two instances of Tivo DeskTop and manually copy the cuts one by one?

Thanks.

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'm assuming you mean 2 instances of VideoRedo? It's been quite a while since I actually edited any TV shows for burning to DVD (that alone shows how long :)). Did you save the editing session as a project? If so, can't you just load it and adjust the editing points for the new file? If you didn't save the editing session, then I'm pretty sure that you will have to do as you mentioned and manually go through and make the edits again.

Scott

3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Member

Mar 28, 2007
    >Did you save the editing session as a project?

Yes. I have an associated .vprj file.

>If so, can't you just load it and adjust the editing points for the new file?

When I load it, it loads the old .tivo file (the one with the errors).

Or am I missing the point?

Edit #1: or did you mean to open the .vprj file in Notepad, change the source file to the QuickStream Fixed version, and then tweak the cut points one by one manually?

Edit #2: yeah, that's probably what you meant. Seems to be working. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Delete or move the original .TiVo file. When you try to load the vprj file in VideoReDo it will prompt you to select the file you want to edit if it can't find it. You can edit the vprj file in notepad, but it's easier to just pick a new source file through the VRD user interface.

5. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

I was thinking more along the lines of just naming the fixed file the same as the original and in the same location (rename the original to something different).

Scott

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    In v5 there is a feature to apply a vprj to an open video. It's at the bottom of the edit menu.

But it probably wont work. We use a combination of timestamps and byte positions to align cuts in a vprj. Unless those match up exactly in the new file the cuts will be off.

7. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Hopefully it would get him close to the right points on a Quickstream fixed show that he could adjust easier than recreating all the edit points?

Scott

8. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    It works fine for me with vprj files created by kmttg. Maybe that's because it creates old-style vprj files with timestamps only?

<VideoReDoProject Version="3">
    <Filename>E:\VAP\Gotham s04e18 - A Dark Knight Thats Entertainment.TiVo</Filename>
    <CutList>
    <Cut> <CutTimeStart>0</CutTimeStart> <CutTimeEnd>67730000</CutTimeEnd> </Cut>
    <Cut> <CutTimeStart>6230560000</CutTimeStart> <CutTimeEnd>7914570000</CutTimeEnd> </Cut>
    <Cut> <CutTimeStart>11156980000</CutTimeStart> <CutTimeEnd>13558870000</CutTimeEnd> </Cut>
    <Cut> <CutTimeStart>19641110000</CutTimeStart> <CutTimeEnd>21575720000</CutTimeEnd> </Cut>
    <Cut> <CutTimeStart>25281430000</CutTimeStart> <CutTimeEnd>27601240000</CutTimeEnd> </Cut>
    <Cut> <CutTimeStart>30803430000</CutTimeStart> <CutTimeEnd>32398190000</CutTimeEnd> </Cut>
    </CutList>
    </VideoReDoProject>

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It depends on how the timestamps in the .tivo file are created. If it always resets the timestamps starting at zero, and both recordings start at the exact same time relative to the start of the file, then the timestamps will line up. But I wouldn't put a lot of hope in two different recordings lining up like that. Even a minor variation of a few more/less frames at the start of a file could effect it enough to screw up the cuts. And if the .tivo file uses the original time stamps from the original broadcast all bets are off. Those are typically on a 24 hour clock so they would reflect the time of day the recording was made.

It should give you a hood starting point, but I'd verify every start/end point before proceeding with output.

10. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I usually get Skip Mode cuts from kmttg and apply them to a .Tivo to .TS QSF conversion using VRD. It always drifts in direct relation to time, but it's still useable. At first it's only a few frames, but by the end of a one hour recording it's a few seconds. Still a great starting point for my edits.