1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Slingbox 500 replace both a Tivo Stream and Tivo Mini Vox?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by nuraman00, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Sep 5, 2018 #1 of 19
    nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I have neither a Tivo Stream or a Tivo Mini Vox.

I do have a Tivo Premiere XL4, connected to the downstairs TV.

If I were to get a Slingbox 500, and connect it downstairs, could I:

* Use my upstairs TV's built in Chromecast to watch live TV, and play my Tivo recordings.

* Stream out of home to a Windows 7 or Windows 10 PC.

2. Sep 5, 2018 #2 of 19
    nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I see with a Slingbox, there can only be 1 user.

So someone couldn't be watching TV downstairs, and also upstairs.

But with a Tivo Mini Vox, the Mini Vox could use a tuner to watch something else.

I also see that SlingPlayer isn't on AndroidTV. I would have to use SlingPlayer on my Android Phone, and cast it to the TV. I don't like doing that.

3. Sep 5, 2018 #3 of 19
    nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Can someone please confirm my understanding? :)

4. Sep 5, 2018 #4 of 19
    Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Yes on the TiVo.

For the sling box you’d end up watching the same channel.

nuraman00 likes this.
  5. Sep 7, 2018 #5 of 19
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Slingbox is great for viewing outside your home but very tedious, clunky and slow to operate. I would never use one in place of a Mini.

6. Sep 7, 2018 #6 of 19
    kcejo

kcejo Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I've used my Slingbox to stream to a Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC out of the home. It's a great option for that, but I agree with mdavej that it is tedious, clunky and slow to operate. If Tivo would actually allow out-of-home streaming like they advertise, I wouldn't use the Slingbox. But, until they do, it's still a good option. And I agree that I would not use a Slingbox in place of a Mini at home.

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The best and eaiest way to watch your content streaming from a Slingbox to be viewed on a big HDTV is to get the Amazon Fire TV and then load the free Slingbox app. When you launch the free Slingbox app on Fire TV connected to your big HDTV it automatically connects to the Slingbox and your sling content image appears on your big HDTV in good quality even in slow internet situations. While the menus for the Slingbox app can take getting used to, I'm always amazed at how easy it is to sling my content to a great big HDTV and have great picture quality either at home on my LAN or remotely at someone else's house using their HDTV.

You can also use a Roku to watch sling content on an HDTV but for the Roku you have to use your mobile device to initiate the connection and then your mobile device becomes the remote control for your sling content. The Roku remote control is not used while you're watching and controlling your sling the content

The Slingbox uses Superior proprietary encoding that allows a good picture Quality In even slow limited bandwidth internet connections. while 8 megabits per second provides the highest quality picture, one can still get good quality picture with Upstream as slow as 3 megabits per second. The Tivo Mini does a very inferior job of sending out good picture quality consistently. The Slingbox encodes on the Fly constantly adjusting to the internet speed being fast or a little slow et cetera and it does all this without having to drop the picture or force you to start all over.

the only real value of the TiVo Stream is its ability to transfer recordings to your mobile devices, but of course only recordings that don't have any copy protection on them, so that further limits the value of the TiVo Stream. TiVo Stream is an old product that hasn't been manufactured for years and as far as I know not a single update on Hanson has been added to the stream since.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    How easy is it to use my mobile device to navigate in time? Do they have options to skip ahead 30 seconds or something? Or do I have to use my finger to pinpoint exactly when to stop? That's annoying to me, as when I let my finger go, it still jumps forward or backward 1 - 2 minutes.

I'm asking for both playing a recording, or live TV.

Since the owner where I'd be doing the out of home streaming has a Roku, I'd be using that.

But is it any easier to navigate in time from a Fire TV?

As for the OP, I've realized that the Slingbox can't replace both, so I'd also be getting a Tivo Mini.

9. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I'm assuming that if I use a laptop/PC to Sling content, it's much easier to navigate in time? Are there easy options to navigate backwards or forwards?

10. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Ok, if I go to 2:19, I see there's time navigation to skip behind and ahead. Good.

I don't know why the skip ahead is grayed out in this instance, but at least it's possible.

Is there any chance that I can also use Tivo's time hashmarks to skip ahead to the next mark, when Slinging?

11. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    (I'm quoting some posts from another thread into this thread, because I don't want to get too off-topic with the title of the other thread.)

Great.

Given that I'm by myself, and I don't know which box would be used less in the future while someone else is Slinging, I'll do what's easier to connect for now.

It's easier to keep the Slingbox downstairs, and make a simple Ethernet connection to my switch.

I'll also keep the powered HDMI splitter downstairs.

It would be a nice to have to get my upstairs TV wired Internet, but if I don't need a coax to Ethernet adapter for any other device upstairs (such as a Slingbox), then I don't want to get the adapter just for the TV.

And I'm not sure if the TV needs wired internet, it was just a nice to have. I could always get a powerline Ethernet adapter if I don't want to get the bigger coax to Ethernet adapter, to add wired internet to my upstairs TV.

Here's what my shopping list looks like:

* Tivo Mini Vox

* Slingbox 500

* Powered HDMI Splitter. Do I need a 4K 30Hz or 4K 60Hz one?

* Device Mount for Tivo Mini:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4NQ0S...colid=5ZOH1613TYZ9&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If I'm not able to wall mount it in the same space where my TV mount is, then return it.

Already in stock:

* A 10' Etherent cable for the Slingbox.
    * Wall mount cable clips for the coax cable that will go from the wall, across the room to the upstairs TV.
    * Velcro cable concealing sleeves.
    * Wall Mount TotalMount remote holder for upstairs TV and Tivo Mini remote.

And any idea about my last question in the post above, about being able to use Tivo's time hashmarks to jump in time, through a Slingbox? Especially if using the Android Sling Player to Sling through a Roku.

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Works the same way as it does if you're sitting in front of your Tivo except you're using a virtual, on-screen remote instead of a real remote. So just press the same buttons on the virtual remote that you press on the Tivo remote, namely ffwd then skip. The only difference is you have time to go out and get a cup of coffee between button presses.

While slinging to a Fire TV is clunky but tolerable, slinging to a Roku is downright brutal and nearly impossible to do in a hotel room or wherever you'll be watching. You'll discover this the first time you try it. I suggest you test it at a friends house before your first trip.

I sling a lot when travelling internationally, and I find simply watching on a laptop to be the easiest way.

13. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks. One last question, for now. I don't know if it matters, but do I need a 4K 30Hz or 4K 60Hz powered splitter?

I'd be slinging to a Roku at a family member's.

And the virtual remote you mention, that's the same one that's at 2:19 in the video in post # 10, right?

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes on the remote.

No idea about 4k. Don't have it myself and know very little about it.

15. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    @Series3Sub , @mdavej, etc.

The Slingbox 500 has 2 HDMI ports. One HDMI In, and one HDMI Out.

What do I do with the HDMI Out? Is that necessary?

16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I would use that OUT instead of a splitter to show the Tivo screen on your local TV.

17. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    As per @Series3Sub (from another thread), I'd be using the powered HDMI splitter to get around the copy protections when transmitting via HDMI.

He recommended I use the HDMI from the Tivo/Tivo Mini, to the input of the splitter. Then one output of the splitter to the Slingbox HDMI Input.

And the other output of the splitter to the TV.

Are you recommending that instead of going from the output of the splitter to the TV, that I use the output of the Slingbox HDMI Output, to the TV?

If so, why is that?

18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Who knows. My experience with HDMI splitters is very hit and miss. No harm in trying the simple way.

19. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yes, from the splitter just use ONE HDMI output to the Slingbox and an HDMI cable from the Slingbox to the TV (ou can leave the other output(s) of the splitter disconnected). This is best because with the Slingbox 500, will allow your to set-up your Slingbox ON YOUR TV SCREEN, and that makes it an easier to follow all the prompts on the TV screen and verify with the testing screen. For the M1/M2, you must set up the those Slingboxes ON-LINE like at a PC via internet because M1/M2 don't have the set-up using your TV feature.

To be clear: The TiVo DVR BOX has an HDMI output, so you can use the HDMI splitter, but the analog output of the DVR Box varies (it could be either composite or component) by Series and Model and may require require component cables or breakout cable, and some DVR Boxes' output may only provide COMPOSITE video, which is SD and not pretty. On the other hand, The Mini has an HDMI out AND an analog out (using the breakout cable) that is COMPONENT video, and that is HD and all flagged programming should play through component connections. The Slingbox has COMPONENT input and output, as well, so you can still use the on screen prompts to set up the Slingbox 500 using COMPONENT, as well. The HDMI out of the Slingbox to your TV can output both HDMI and Component signals, so, if you want, you only need to connect the HDMI to see BOTH HDMI and Component using just the HDMI out from Slingbox to HDTV.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018 at 5:34 AM
    nuraman00 likes this.