Can a Mini watch shows shared from a PC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Redoctobyr, May 7, 2017.

1. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008

Advertisements

Hi, I just got a Bolt and a Mini. I'm hoping to use them to replace my pair of Series 2s.

I have been transferring the recordings off my Series 2s to a PC, so I can keep them available after the S2s are deactivated (I'm transferring the Lifetime to my Bolt). The Bolt appears to be able to view the PC that's sharing them using pyTivo, and transfer recordings.

But when browsing using the Mini, I can't seem to transfer anything from the Series 2s, or the PC share. I can't browse the PC share contents. And when I browse the Series 2 recordings, each recording has an icon of a red circle with a diagonal line through it, and I can't transfer them.

Is the Mini able to use files stored on PC, or a previous-generation TiVo? Or do I need to manually transfer all the recordings to the Bolt, before the Mini can watch them? If so, that's doable, but unfortunate. There are 200+ recordings, and I'd have to start each transfer individually from the Bolt. I was hoping I'd at least have the option of using them from the pyTivo share on the PC.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. The mini can only stream, it has no internal storage. If you want to watch those recordings you'll need to transfer them to the Bolt first then you'll be able to stream them from there using the Mini.

But honestly, unless you have something irreplaceable on the S2, I'd just try to find new copies of the shows in HD. The quality of an S2 recording viewed through a Bolt or Mini is going to be pretty terrible.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not sure if Streambaby* would allow for streaming to a Mini, but PLEX would be an alternative approach allowing direct streaming to a Mini from a PC repository.

edit: * p.s. If this thread's information is accurate, then Streambaby isn't an option for streaming content to a Mini. (And even the workaround mentioned in the referenced thread would no longer be possible, owing to the reported loss of "push" functionality.)

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Streambaby does not work with the Mini.

Plex is an option but you'd have to decrypt all the TiVo files and rename them using Plex's naming scheme to get them to show up right.

5. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008

Advertisements

That's too bad. I was hoping the Bolt could act as an intermediary for streaming, allowing PC->Bolt->Mini. Kind of like what it does for live TV, doing the tuning/processing, and sending it along to the Mini.

Most of these are older episodes of shows, so they aren't likely to be airing again, to allow getting HD versions. Thanks!