Camelot 4-1-2011 2-hour Series Premiere

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Thom, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Apr 2, 2011 #1 of 33
    Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Good show. Nice eye candy, also. It's a keeper.

If you haven't watched the two hour pilot, I recommend you do so now, while it is still being aired. Be warned that this show does display sex and nudity. In fact, the pilot almost opens with it.

I'm not sure about the actor they cast for Arthur. He doesn't seem impressive enough to play Arthur. Eva Green playing Morgan, however, is spot-on.

2. Apr 2, 2011 #2 of 33
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I almost didn't watch this, as I had seen the sneak preview last month. It was only when I noticed this was 1:45 long did I realize they only showed the first hour of this in the sneak.

I enjoyed it, fun series. As long as the story line doesn't go stupid (see: Merlin), I'll watch.

3. Apr 2, 2011 #3 of 33
    SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    It'll do until Spartacus returns. :)

I'm a bit confused by changes to what I think of Arthurian legend. Morgana is Uther's daughter? Guenevere is married to someone else? Is her husband Lancelot?

I was surprised they killed off Marc Anthony, surprised they killed off Hector. I like the Morgana character. Looking forward to next week!

4. Apr 2, 2011 #4 of 33
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    In the Arthurian legend I am familiar with, Morgana is Arthur's half-sister, sharing the same mother. So if Uther is Morgan's father by blood, that would be a change to the usual legend.

Guinevere is not married. She is betrothed, to Arthur's new friend, Leontes. It will be interesting to see what happens to her betrothal, since I cannot imagine them changing the legend so much that Guinevere does not marry Arthur.

5. Apr 2, 2011 #5 of 33
    SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    Been reading, clearly there are multiple Authorian legends. I'll just go with the flow. :)

6. Apr 3, 2011 #6 of 33
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Well, it was not codified into a historical way, because it is a legend. I am surprised that the various versions of Robin Hood have been fairly consistant (except for the most recent where Robin Hood did not marry Marion).

7. Apr 3, 2011 #7 of 33
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And it took centuries for it to evolve into the most familiar form that we know today (Malory in the 15th century, about 600 years after the earliest recorded Arthur stories). The range of Arthur stories is positively breath-taking.

8. Apr 3, 2011 #8 of 33
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What I don't understand is why they killed off Ector so soon. I thought it was a very interesting interplay between Ector and Igraine (the foster father vs. the birth mother).

9. Apr 3, 2011 #9 of 33
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I leave the breath-taking to describing the girl Arthur was with by the lake at the start of the show ;)

I, too, was glad I re-watched the first part since I had no idea they had not aired the second part. I really like the show.

I didn't understand why the former queen (Arthur's mother) was surprised at how Merlin had not aged a day. Hadn't she seen him every day since he took Arthur from her?

10. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Wasn't that Arthur's foster mother who was surprised at his lack of aging? She hadn't seen Merlin since he gave them the baby Arthur.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't recall if Arthur's foster mother said anything, but Igraine certainly did when talking to Merlin at Camelot.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It was Ygraine, but it wasn't in the context of "Hey, I just noticed, you never age"; it was more "Yeah, the sword was put there hundreds of years ago, but you haven't aged in the 20 years I've known you so why COULDN'T you have put it there?"

13. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Nice rack too. Although I never really did like her accent. I thought her Bond role was a character-ism, but the same accent on Morgan seals it. Her over-pronunciation sounds like she's trying to talk and spit out something that tastes bad.

The direction seems screwey, too. During Arthur's coronation speech, they kept splitting between shots of Merlin with a "Oh, crap! I wish he hadn't said that" look, and shots of Merlin with a "Hooray! Good on Arthur!" look.

--Carlos V.

14. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Is this going to be streaming on Netflix concurrent to air, the same as Spartacus?

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She's French...

16. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    ok, I have a comment about that scene (ignore the fact that the crowds looked bored while he was walking amongst them, they should have been in awe)

but the coronation: was it intentional that Arthur knelt in front of the priest while the priest held the crown perfectly around his own groin?

NTTAWWT, but it seemed a strange way of filming that scene.

17. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    i believe so, yes.

18. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
  19. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    SP deleted. This was going nowhere fast.

20. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've finished watching the first season. The show got a lot better the last half of the season. I look forward to what they do next season. That is assuming it got renewed??