Caller ID on S3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by GooberMan, Aug 6, 2007.

1. GooberMan

GooberMan New Member

May 21, 2007
    Anderson, SC

Advertisements

Is there an SPS code or hack to enable caller ID on the S3? If so, would I have to plug a phone line into it for it to work or is there a way for it to get the info from my Vonage box connected to my network?

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No.

3. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I would think that there are very few S3's that have a phone line hooked to them, as opposed to using either the Ethernet or USB/WiFi Internet connection. If you can afford the S3, you can probably afford a home Internet connection. Some people on this forum have expressed the question of why the S3 even has a phone modem.

4. Carsten

Carsten New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    I can understand the point of question.

The S3 has a Phone line. Yes, most of them probably arent hooked up. But thats only because there is no value added atm. If they offered a caller id feature then I, for instance would hook up a phone line so I can see who calls when watching tv instead of getting up and looking at the phone.

Vaild Point. I want this too. I think theres a way to do it if you hack hte S3. But its really difficult at this point and I am to dumb for that hack :)

Later

5. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA

Advertisements

You know, I thought this would be a really frivolous feature, but then my parents (briefly) had one of the DirectTV DVR's that had this feature, and I really liked it.

Even if I use the LAN to do the guide data, it's not a big deal to also plug into the modem too.

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The Directv units have Caller ID, and its one feature Tivo really needs.

Its great when someone calls. It pops up on the Screen, you do not need to look at your phone etc.

An excellent feature.

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Dish has it too.

8. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I think on-screen CallerID is a great idea, it would be a simple code update for Tivo and good for marketing. If support costs are the issue make it a SPS code.

While watching Tivo, my biggest interruption is the phone ringing. CallerID on screen would mean no more pausing and looking for the cordless phone. Typically when I find the phone, you have the phone in your hand at that point, why not answer it.

Sounds like a great idea, I would run a phone line to the S3 just for that reason.