Call Your Mother (ABC sitcom) Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:37 PM.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Call Your Mother, a new ABC sitcom, premiered Wed Jan 13 2021. Stars Kyra Sedgwick.

wiki
    The series follows an empty nest mother, who decides to be close to her children by moving cross country in order to be with them, much to their chagrin.

Very mixed opinions on this. I almost stopped watching ten minutes in, then it got better, then it got funny, then it didn't, then it ended ok. Like watching a roller coaster of :thumbsdown::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsdown::thumbsup:. Part of the problem for me is Kyra Sedgwick. She just isn't working for me in this role. She's not the kind of personality I would have cast. She has an edge to her that plays wrong in this setting (IMHO). Great for Deputy Chief Madeline Wuntch, not so great for this.

I like the kids, the partners are funny, potential with the Incredi-Host. But she isn't working for me. Maybe it'll get better. We'll see how the next episode or two settle in.

2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I thought it was good for a pilot. I didn't turn it off, and it was good enough for me to stick with it and see what happens.
    I have no point of reference for Kyra Sedgwick, other than I've heard the name somewhere.

3. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Just watched it. It was ok. I'll try a couple of more episodes and see how it goes.

Love Sedgwick in The Closer, which is where I'm most familiar with her. Even though that was a crime drama, it contains a lot of humor, but it's of a totally different nature. So while I know she can be funny, I'm not sure yet if she can be sit-com funny.

4. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I did like that the laughs were muted, and didn't overpower the scenes like on most sitcoms. Maybe there was a limited audience? Or the producers just didn't sweeten them. Either way I appreciated it.

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

I liked the dog

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Not bad, but I didn't like the family. I would have rather left with Celia and Lane and watched the sitcom that's centered around them.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Meh. Too much in half an hour. But it’s a pilot, so, I’ll give it a few shows.