"Call Me Kat" (Fox) Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jan 3, 2021 #1 of 61
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Well, that was certainly... something.

I always remind myself not to judge a sitcom by the pilot/premiere. They take time to gel, for the writers and cast to get a feel for their characters. But this needs some work.

I feel like I should say it has potential, but that potential should have been developed better before bringing this to air. I like Mayim, and a couple other characters. But no way the best friend is her best friend--they're polar opposites. And her overwhelming social anxiety just plays poorly, especially the lies followed by recants. Just stupid to me. If I'm that guy (Mr. Hunky Dory), I run away so fast you see trails.

The fourth wall was kinda interesting the first time. And used sparingly it might work. But by the end, it deserved a lead credit it was used so often.

I feel like they should have worked this a little more, and brought us a better show. Any potential will be drowned out by poor ratings.

stellie93 likes this.
  2. Jan 3, 2021 #2 of 61
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I watched the original Miranda series on Hulu. It will be interesting to see if it holds up.

3. Jan 4, 2021 #3 of 61
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Instead of titling it from the first person point-of-view of the lead character ("Call Me Kat") they should have titled it from the first person point-of-view of the viewer ("Kill Me Now").

stellie93 and Tony_T like this.
  4. Jan 4, 2021 #4 of 61
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, I'm wondering how much this show is simply relying on name recognition to get by. I know during the trailers I certainly recognized the voice.

5. Jan 4, 2021 #5 of 61
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

I thought it was terrible. I like the British version (Miranda), and that works because of the main star. Mayim just can't pull it off. I don't think the producers understand what made the British one funny. They tried to re-use some of Miranda's plots, but they were scattered and disjointed.
    Even the laugh track was messed up, it was like they couldn't figure out when to use it. For some obvious jokes there would be no laughs, and then just randomly out of the blue the 'audience' would crack up.
    I wanted this to work, I really like Mayim. But if the rest of the episodes are like this, it won't make it.

lparsons21 likes this.
  6. Jan 4, 2021 #6 of 61
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Some shows look so bad from the promos that I won’t even give it a try — this is one of them.

photoshopgrl, jr461 and Steveknj like this.
  7. Jan 4, 2021 #7 of 61
    lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    My wife liked "Miranda" and liked this. I have not watched "Miranda" and did not like this.

She told me that, based on my reaction, I would REALLY dislike "Miranda."

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  8. Jan 4, 2021 #8 of 61
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    US TV is really bad at implementing foreign TV shows. This is not the first example of it.

SoBelle0 likes this.
  9. Jan 4, 2021 #9 of 61
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They do better when they don’t reuse plots. Coupling was a disaster. This was bad but a ton of successful shows have worked if they just use the premise. The Office for example. Going all the way back to All In the Family.

10. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Needs Six, Joey Lawrence, Vicki Lawrence, Martin Mull, more cats and Mike and Molly.

11. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    I hadn't heard anything about this show until a couple of days ago (usually not a good sign), but decided to give it a go. I'd watched Miranda when it was still airing. It wasn't the best comedy ever and a bit over-rated on IMDB I think (8.2). But, it kind of worked I think because Miranda was playing a version of herself so the jokes worked better. It was hokey at times and more of an old fashioned British sitcom in structure. I like Mayim, but it just seems really really forced with her playing the same type of role. I always like Leslie Jordan too, and was also interested to see Swoosie Kurtz in something again. But, we had to pause it in shock when she came on screen. She is so extremely thin now and looks almost doll-like! I might give it one or two episodes since pilots are often bad, but I think it's likely doomed.

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Well they made it easy, this becomes a one up and then one down. I couldn’t make it through the first episode. Just terrible.

13. Donbadabon

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I thought the 2nd episode was much better than the pilot.
    Although that is like saying 3/4 of your house burning down is better than the whole thing burning.
    I'll stick with it to see where it goes. It probably won't be around for long anyways, lol

14. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Oh, good. Still, I had priorities. This show was not going to be high on the list.

15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I thought it was okay also (the 2nd ep). I'm starting to understand the "talking to the audience" spiel, and where it comes from. I'll give it a few more.

16. Donbadabon

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    In the British version, when Miranda talks to the audience (or looks at the audience) it feels as if she just can't help it. It is a tick, and it just comes out. Whereas Kat seems to use it to try and be funny.
    Miranda seems embarrassed sometimes when she speaks to us, and Kat smiles and laughs as she does it. So it ends up with a whole different result.
    In my OP of course.

SoBelle0 likes this.
  17. Donbadabon

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

18. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    One, she doesn't need to respond to criticism. Haters gonna hate. Two, too long. I watched a couple minutes, but I'm not gonna waste 8+ minutes to hear a message.

I'm slowly liking the show. It either succeeds or doesn't. That's life in the sitcom biz.

19. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Pro tip: Any time you're watching a video where someone is talking at you, set the play speed to double. Then you'll only waste 4+ minutes!

lalouque likes this.
  20. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks, good tip!

Bonus: The captions (auto-generated) still display at 2X. :)