Call and get your 6.3 Credit

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by davahad, Nov 15, 2006.

1. davahad

davahad Member

Dec 1, 2002
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

I contacted DTV support about the audio dropouts on Fox OTA after the 6.3 update and they said they know about the problem and are working on a fix. I did this so it was documented on my account.

Then a couple of days later I contacted the Retention Dept. to get a credit for the Audio Dropout problems. After a little haggling they gave me 4 months of HD for free to compensate for the troubles. The $40 is not a big deal to me, but I'm hoping the credits will hurt a bit so there is some incentive to get a fix faster.

2. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    Getting credit from D* also depends on the individual account....some folks have better luck than others (depending on how many 'freebies' and/or past credits you've utilized), so YMMV.

3. Jello2594

Jello2594 New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    I just called and got $120 from them. I have two HR10-250s and am TCP.

4. az_double_eagle

az_double_eagle Certified Golf Nut

Aug 13, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    Okay, I'll bite.

What does "TCP" mean in your context? Transmission Control Protocol :) - I don't think so.

5. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...

Advertisements

Tivo Community Preffered?

6. mmihalik

mmihalik Verbose Poster

Oct 10, 2000
    Beaverton,...
    TCP = Total Choice Premier

Mike

7. divedude

divedude Bubble Blower

Oct 1, 2006
    Waxahachie, TX
    Do ya think they would give me a credit for having to put up with the haven't made a call messages on 2 units, because I don't want the update problems :D

8. Cody21

Cody21 New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    El Cerrito, Ca
    I received $25/mpmth for 6 months. I initiall called Level and complained. They offered $5/month ... I said you GOT TO BE KIDDIN' ... Please transfer me to C.R. ... They offered another $20/month on top of the $5 ... = $150 ... I'm also TCP. I also asked to be transferred to Tech Support to register my issue with them; and was.

9. jimmymiko

jimmymiko Just another day!

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    I just got the "there is nothing we can do because it is over the air and not the satellite" from 2nd level support. I spend $88 a month, they must be able to do something.

10. leesweet

leesweet TC Special Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Northern VA...
    I hope none of you are getting 're-committed' for two years for those few bucks they are handing out... :) I've seen a lot of posts where they slap on a re-committ for the 'credit'.

As for the 'OTA isn't our fault', sheesh, it's their software upgrade, and it worked before with 3.1.5. You might trot that out next time.

11. jimmymiko

jimmymiko Just another day!

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    I did but they insisted it was the broadcaster. I had to hang up on the supervisor because of the Bull crap.

12. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    I just got off the phone with "level 2" tonight and they claimed the same BS with me. I asked them how it was that my machine worked perfect with 3.1 and is now having audio dropouts (as well as other issues) with 6.3a? After a long silence she came back with "There is a Fox broadcasting issue in YOUR area." Riiigghhhttt. Then she told me they are coming out with a new software update the beginning of next year, but there was nothing in the notes on that update having to do with a Fox ota audio fix. :rolleyes:

Step 2 for me is to call customer retention tomorrow and see if I can't get a credit on my account for this problem. I don't care if they try to sign me on for another 2 years or not. I never honored Dish's silly 2 year contract and I certainly won't honor Directv's either. Damn, I can't even believe they've got me thinking of switching to cable of all things for the first time in my life. :(

13. darthrsg

darthrsg New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post 911...
    When I called to report the audio drops and a reboot, they just sent me a new box. It has been ok ever since.

14. Cody21

Cody21 New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    El Cerrito, Ca
    Huh ?? How is this so ???? What new box did you get? another HR10-250 ?? What software version is on it? :confused:

15. Gweeto

Gweeto New Member

Jul 28, 2006
    I am starting to feal guilty with all the credits I keep getting. I also have 6 months HD package free for this audio drop out but all I really want is for the darn thing to work. They are handing out credits like candy on halloween. I think at one point I had 4 different credits (currently 3). And the bad part is I don't even call asking for them. I currently pay less for service now with the HD package, DVR service, and 2 movie channels than I did when I just had the bottom level service.

I think I am like everyone else because I call primarly to get it noted on my account for when the time comes that I am finally fed up I can say "look at all the times I've called".

16. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I'm pretty POed by the 6.3 upgrade causing all the audio drop outs and occasional shortened recording. It's even more annoying that DirecTV doesn't have a fix scheduled.

OTOH, judging by the posts in the DBSTalk HR20 forum, perhaps I should be thanking DirecTV for not releasing another upgrade too quickly. They've been releasing upgrades multiple times a month and the HR20 still appears to be failing in its basic functions for a good number of people.

Over there DirecTV is trying "blame the installer", "blame your environment", "blame your hardware" rather than "it's our fault, thank you for notifying us, we'll work on it".

17. Nomarian

Nomarian New Member

May 5, 2004
    I just called DTV and was transferred from Customer Service to Technical Support and explained the issue. He looked it up and found the known issue for the audio drop and stated the fix was to disable Dolby Digital.

I informed him that this was unacceptable since this was part of my home theater and that would pretty much ruin the experience of a home theater. He said a fix was in the works, but he would credit me with the HD package and Showtime for 6 months for my problems.

Let's hope they get a fix out soon.

18. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    And it is not a fix. When I disable Dolby Digital I still have the audio dropout.
    :mad:

19. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, don't let the CSR people tell you that. I've never had DD, don't use an optical cable (just DVI + component audio) and still have the drop-outs.

I've had the DD -> PCM thing turned on since before this problem existed. It's pretty darn frustrating.

20. astayton

astayton New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Illinois